Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2019, 06:19 AM

Question St. Patrick's Day Memories

Completely off topic but thought I would ask....

Anybody got a St. Paddy's Day memory that sticks out in their mind?

The only one I have is from 2008. I, along with 130 of my fellow brothers and sisters, found ourselves in Ireland (Shannon Airport) on St. Patrick's Day. Turns out we had won a 15 month, all-inclusive, paid vacation to the sunny beaches of Iraq. Apparently the luck of the Irish was with us as we all returned home safely.

The airport was a madhouse, locals partying it up like there was no tomorrow. So much beer to be had but none for us. I did get to take a hot shower while we were waiting for the next leg of the trip....showers in an airport bathroom, who woulda' thunk it?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 AM

I can't tell my favorite St Patty's story, this is a family-friendly forum.
Back then heavy drinking just seemed like the thing to do, now, not so much.
I have a bunch of Irish friends from childhood. To them March 17th is just amateur hour.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM

I recall a Saint Patrick's Day snow storm in Michigan back in 1973. The previous weekend had been like summer with the whole family out in the yard picking up sticks, raking up leaves, etc. and I got it all on an 8mm movie.

The very next weekend a blizzard hit and dumped several feet of snow in drifts which topped 4 feet in places on the roads. Winter's last blast! Got that on film as well.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Amateur night. I usually spend it at my folks' house. Wish I had a copy of 'the Quiet Man'.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:59 PM

Default Memories

I flew to MCRD San Diego on St Pattys day 1986 to report for boot camp. The nice lady on the plane gave me a drink. When I told her i was only 18, she replied that there wasnt any drinking age at 30k'. Good times! Rich
Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 PM

My first St. Pats day as Irish ! I took a 23and me DNA test and was shocked when it said I was 40 % Irish ! Turns out my Swedish and German ancestors married Irish women when they got to America . I don't drink , went to the Peoria Illinois St. Patricks Day Parade and to get in the spirit of things my wife got into an altercation with another woman over driving ! Oh the fighting Irish .
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Default Tcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Amateur night. I usually spend it at my folks' house. Wish I had a copy of 'the Quiet Man'.
"The Quiet Man" was on last night on TCM - one of my favorite Duke pictures.

Most of the cast were previously in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (1949, by John Ford) - John Wayne, Victor McLaglen (Squire Danaher), Mildred Natwick (Widow Tillane), and even Andrew Shields (Reverend Mr. Playfair - ya gotta love that name). Just no Maureen O'Hara. Yet.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 AM

My favorite memory of St. Patricks' Day was a blizzard in New Ulm, MN in 1965. 12 yrs old. 10 kids, 3 adults, 3 days on Jefferson street S.W. What a blast! Watched a snowdrift move North to South, in front of the house about 5 ft high! Ah, the old days!