Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 PM

Default O-66 HRA rebuild

Posted pictures of my O-66 HRA Marine Corp rebuild on the picture forum and Rob30-06 indicated it was pretty uncommon to find one. Question is it it uncommon to fine an O-66 HRA rebuild or just an O-66 rebuild in general? Iíve received several rebuilds before but never a Marine Corp rebuild. Any info would be appreciated.

Link: https://m.imgur.com/a/4YVQYah
Old 09-20-2018, 07:19 AM

Thats a great looking rifle.

Well USMC rebuilds are not real common just because they only did them for a small slice of time, 1965-1967. O-67's are a little harder to find in general because they did not rebuild for the entire year. HRA's that are rebuilt by the Marines are a little rarer just because there were not a lot of HRA's going to the Marines in that a lot of SA/WRA rifles were transferred their way before HRA and IHC were in full force. I am sure some of the people around here that are number gurus have more information.

That is a fantastic rifle. I have a 4.72 HRA O-67 rebuild.

If you are have any thoughts of this rifle not staying with you please let me know as I would love to have a O-65 & O-66 HRA to go into the collection.

Again, great looking rifle!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Uncommon really is the word

Jeremy,
As previously indicated, you done good to get that rifle.
I like the term "uncommon" when it comes to these so I can separate them from the truly rare rifles, like the Arrowheads and other rare IHCs, early HRAs and early SA rifles, and such. With rebuilds you just never know when a large quantity will appear out of nowhere (though it has been a while since that happened).

I have found after looking at a fairly large number of these that they tend to have early 50's dated barrels if the barrels were changed during rebuild, so your '51 barrel could easily be original from that period.

Any markings, either stampings or grease pencil, on your stock?

Good luck holding onto it, as I never have seemed to be able to

sweet,
Rob
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the info and appreciate the info. There are no markings on the stock other than remnants of a P. Other than that, heavy sanding marks. No chalk marks that I can see. I figured the 51 SA barrel was original to the rebuild but was surprised to see the 9 SA uncut oprod. I got 2 LEADs last year in my order and knew those were desirable but wasn’t sure about the Marine rebuilds.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1942 View Post
Thanks for the info and appreciate the info. There are no markings on the stock other than remnants of a P. Other than that, heavy sanding marks. No chalk marks that I can see. I figured the 51 SA barrel was original to the rebuild but was surprised to see the 9 SA uncut oprod. I got 2 LEADs last year in my order and knew those were desirable but wasnít sure about the Marine rebuilds.
Yea, The LEAD rebuilds get all the love for sure, but they are waaaay more common that the Marine Corps Rebuilds.

When I browse thru my database on these I find that Winchesters seem to be the least common so far and the HRAs are next, followed by IHC and, of course, SA is the most common.

Rob
Old 09-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Banned

I sold my 0-66 Marine rebuild to a Marine. He really wanted it.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeff View Post
I sold my 0-66 Marine rebuild to a Marine. He really wanted it.
If I do decide to sell it, I would do the same thing.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Thanks for sharing. Awesome looking rifle!