Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Odd A4 stamped stock.

I received this in my big box of dupage stocks. Appears to be a birch replacement stock. The A4 stamp on the left side of the butt is larger than the other ones I have seen but the really odd thing is there is a non-circled serif P proof mark. The P is also a different style and fatter than others I am familiar with. I am guessing someone other than the military stamped the P and possibly the A4. They are not the same size or style. What are your thoughts.

A4 Stamp

P stamp

Trigger Housing Cutout.
Looking For SA #2465125 #3740941 S&W #AHD6840
Semi-Retired LEO
NRA Life Member
Old 09-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWins View Post
I received this in my big box of dupage stocks. Appears to be a birch replacement stock. The A4 stamp on the left side of the butt is larger than the other ones I have seen but the really odd thing is there is a non-circled serif P proof mark. The P is also a different style and fatter than others I am familiar with. I am guessing someone other than the military stamped the P and possibly the A4. They are not the same size or style. What are your thoughts.

A4 Stamp

P stamp

Trigger Housing Cutout.

Pretty standard for Anniston from what I have seen.
The fonts are all over the map on these.

Yours looks similar to many others to me. In fact I received one similar to your very recently.
Of course it helps that I have looked at and recorded close to a hundred, or more, over the years.

One of these day I may try to catalog all the different fonts and combinations of stamps used (when I get some spare time)

Rob
Old 09-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Thanks Rob. I know you have a lot more knowledge on this. All the other ones I have had a standard P and smaller AN or A4 Thanks Again.
Semi-Retired LEO
NRA Life Member
Old 09-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWins View Post
Thanks Rob. I know you have a lot more knowledge on this. All the other ones I have had a standard P and smaller AN or A4 Thanks Again.
No problem Mike.
Just think. You are also on your way to seeing some of the variations and gaining that experience.

Rob
Old 09-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Thanks Rob.
The best part of getting that box of stocks, was all the different things I have seen. Mostly all the rebuild stamps. I have found a lot of post war originals but it great getting to see stuff in person that I have only seen it pictures.
Semi-Retired LEO
NRA Life Member
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 PM

Default Birch rebuild stock

Thank you for the clear stock photos..I like to read here about the different stock marks..Never saw that P profile before tonite? OG.