Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Default 6 mill serial number very accurate

I just finished the stock and doing a few simple accuracy mods on my 6 mill serial number rifle. Took her to the range and she shot very nicely. Here's the target from 100 yards.....not too bad for a M1 Garand.

No I'm not giving my secrets away but the are competition legal and don't change anything on the gun. I just discovered them by experimenting.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:40 PM

From a bench or match legal position? Regardless, one helluva eye and trigger control!!!
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 04-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny View Post
From a bench or match legal position? Regardless, one helluva eye and trigger control!!!
It is from the bench.

I am not that good standing.

Prone our sitting a little better.

Bench......dead on.

My brother is hand loading for me using what is indicated on the baggy below the target, but I have found that the American Eagle for M1 Garand is good stuff too. It gives me almost the same.

Last edited by neorebel; 04-09-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:54 PM

Great shooting, but I missed the street leagal tweaaks to get thssi accuracy. Could you repeat them.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 AM

Plus 1 what gunny said, getting on paper and zeroing a rifle is simply a mechanical adjustment. Shooting a group like the target above demonstrates marksmanship ability.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:31 PM

I Posted this to show what the gun is capable of.

I'm was a firearm instructor in Navy reserve unit and I am a post certified firearms instructor for my Sheriff's Office.

I have always shot expert in the Navy on M14, M16 and M9. I have been shooting all of my life.

I just wanted to share this with you. M1s are my favorite to shoot.

I love to shoot rifles. I am not comparing this to shooting in matches. If I shot this good in a match I would be the King!!! lol.

I shot with the DCM in the 80's and did well but when I became an LEO, that ended my availability to shoot and compete with the crazy hours I had.

Now my schedule is better with every weekend off. So maybe I can find some use for my shooting matt, jacket and gun in northern Missouri.

We'll see.

Thank you for the nice comments.

Sorry for the earlier post. I used my phone while outside of court today.

Last edited by neorebel; 04-10-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:44 PM

Great group by the OP. Since not shooting competition, do share your "tweaks". I've done all the legal ones I could find through the resources of this forum and can manage 2" at 100 meters with my Criterion-barreled M1. Curious if there are different legal things to try on this rifle.

David
Old 04-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
Great group by the OP. Since not shooting competition, do share your "tweaks". I've done all the legal ones I could find through the resources of this forum and can manage 2" at 100 meters with my Criterion-barreled M1. Curious if there are different legal things to try on this rifle.

David
David,

I can't give away my secrets.

I will tell you this. I use automotive gasket cork on both sides of the trigger housing pad to lock it up tight and it dampens the vibration. They are 1/8 x 3 inch stripes. It is legal as far as I know.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submerge View Post

David
Send me a PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Yo' View Post
Incorrect. All it demonstrates is that the group was produced "mechanically" off a rested position (i.e., the bench) that was intended to minimize the effect of any shooter-induced errors.

Marksmanship is demonstrated when the shooter, unaided by a rest or artificial support, is the determinative factor in the score or groups made on target.
Okay, It's not, "Mechanical" because it is not in a ranson rest, which would be
"Mechanical" Shooting from a bench does minimize some shooting errors but no more than using a bipod.

You seem to be very agitated by this thread and I frankly don't know why. I am an excellent shot as I said, I always shot expert and that WAS unaided as you put it shooting my M16 at 200 yard qualifications and my M9 at 25 yards from the holster each time.

Shooting the M16 in all positions, in minus 70 degree, foggy weather in Alaska I think takes the Mechanical advantage away....lol....Not to mention lying on ice to qualify. I love competition shooting, but my job has stopped me from doing so.

I agree standing (Which is how my LEO's qualify with their AR-15's) is very difficult and takes a lot of practice, as does sitting and prone. Especially when having to reload.

You are taking this to a level it was not meant to be taken to.

It does take skill like controlling your breathing, sight picture and trigger pull no matter what position you're shooting in. Granted, it is more difficult in the three positions. What it does show is what the gun is capable of doing, IF YOU DO YOUR PART. That is what this post was about.

I do practice a lot and am a very good shot.

Best of luck to you if you shoot competition. It's a lot of fun.