Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neorebel View Post

I recently reloaded a bunch of ammo and found that the neck on almost every PPU round would crush down when the bullet was pressed in.

I am not too happy with it since I had a LOT of PPU Garand brass that I cleaned, lubed, sized and put primers in them. ARGGGGGGGGGGGG.
Back out the seating die. Too much crimp will crush/collapse case necks esp if the cases are longer than case used to set crimp.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 PM

neorebel - read thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=71836 especially page 12 of the posts. Read what ROLLING THUNDER has to say. You really can't tell exactly when your 6.096 rifle was assembled as M1 rifles were not assembled in serial number order. Best you can do is, if the barrel is original to the assembly, you will know rifle could not have been assembled PRIOR to the barrel date. Like if the barrel date is 5-56 then the rifle could not have been assembled earlier than May 1956 as the barrel was not yet available.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:59 PM

I will talk to my brother about backing out the seating die, also thank you JoeW2111 about the info about numbers. All I am saying is that is what the serial number is. Heck it could have been one of the last ones put together, but I don't think anyone kept a record of that or did they????