Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2020, 05:08 PM

Default Op Rod Cam Track

The cam track in my SA M1A is showing what I think is abnormal wear (as if the roller is impacting/deforming the upper/top of the track - upper left of hump). It would seem that the impact occurs during recoil/extraction. The lugs on the bolt look fine, no cracks or chips and the lug recesses in the receiver are good (the bluing is not worn at all); also the roller is in good shape, no cracks, turns uniformly and freely, etc. I have fired a total of 2299rds and shoot Federal M1A ammo exclusively in this rifle. Is this normal wear? My main concern is that the rifle continues to function properly.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:59 PM

USGI parts , commercial ?If so what manufacture? Need pictures of worn area
Old 02-09-2020, 07:42 PM

Keep the roller and op rod contact area greased.
RVN 67-68
Old 02-10-2020, 12:11 PM

I did email them with the explanation of the issue and sent a pic and the reply that I received is that I can always send the rifle in for inspection, I would like to get an idea of what's going on. I think calling is a good suggestion, though. Perhaps speaking with someone will get me more info. I can't be the only person to whom this has happened. I do keep the roller greased..... but perhaps, not correctly......

Thanks
Old 02-10-2020, 10:09 PM

Post a photo if you can. I'm sure you'll get an accurate diagnosis from the membership here.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 AM

IMHO, the wear is probably normal.

Most finishes will wear when there is metal to metal contact, do as nf1e (Art) said. Grease the roller on the bolt and where you see the wear marks and you should be good.

That's assuming, I've not seen pics, that it's surface wear not gouges nor scores. Just surface wear.