Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Match M72 & corrosive Ammo

I'm new to M1 Garands, so I want to scouting for ammo at gun shows, etc.

From what I've found on these forums, it seems like the market price for M2 ball is $0.65-0.75 per round. But what would you consider the market price for M72 Match ammo, or old WWII M2 Ball made with a corrosive primer?

From my searches, it looks like $1 per round was reasonable for M72 a few years ago, but I wasn't sure if the price has gone up by now.

The WWII M2 ball, my searches indicated there are very mixed feelings But given that some dislike it and others aren't bothered by the cleaning, how much cheaper should it be than non-corrosive ammo?

(Please limit your responses to a discussion of the fair-market value, not your opinion on the efficacy of corrosive ammo.)

*Bonus question: What about a fair market value for M2 AP, or M2 tracer?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 PM

$0.65-70/rd. is a good fair price for surplus M-2 ball. Match 72 will be more ... maybe $1.00 or so. WWII M-2 ball is fine ammo if well stored, etc. The price would be at least close if not the same as common ball. M-2AP is going to be about $1.00/rd. Haven't seen any M2 tracer for sale so don't know what it might cost. Will say ... stay away from any Austrian .30-06 ball marked OJP. There are credible reports that it is not safe for use in the M-1 Garand. Haven't seen any in a long time, but just beware. Any M-2 ball that is USGI ... Greek HXP ... excellent ammo and extremely high quality brass for reloading. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:16 PM

Just got some 57 FN a couple of months ago for .35 a round. It's berdan primed but non magnetic bullet and is also corrosive. Boiling water or windex with ammonia d takes care of the corrosive part and I don't need the brass since I have plenty. Seems to shoot fine just not as good as my reloads but I'm only using it for offhand practice and the ammo isn't my issue.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:11 AM

Well, I just bought my first corrosive ammo and I am pretty excited about it! I was in the LGS this week and asked George if they had any stripper clips? He paused, turned and reached for a cardboard box. Inside were obviously surplus loaded stripper clips at a very low price. I bought ten, went home, showed them to my 1903A3 enthusiast of a wife, pulled a round off and saw DEN 42 on the rim of the case. She sent me back to buy the rest! We will shoot a little and save the rest.

Built in 1941, run by Remington and the Army, located in Lakewood. The Denver Ordnance Plant was/is the largest single government contract ever awarded to Colorado and was/is the single largest employer of women ever in Colorado.

I'm sure it won't be the first corrosive ammo fired in our 03A3 and fortunately I enjoy cleaning our firearms.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teampb View Post
Well, I just bought my first corrosive ammo and I am pretty excited about it! I was in the LGS this week and asked George if they had any stripper clips? He paused, turned and reached for a cardboard box. Inside were obviously surplus loaded stripper clips at a very low price. I bought ten, went home, showed them to my 1903A3 enthusiast of a wife, pulled a round off and saw DEN 42 on the rim of the case. She sent me back to buy the rest! We will shoot a little and save the rest.

Built in 1941, run by Remington and the Army, located in Lakewood. The Denver Ordnance Plant was/is the largest single government contract ever awarded to Colorado and was/is the single largest employer of women ever in Colorado.

I'm sure it won't be the first corrosive ammo fired in our 03A3 and fortunately I enjoy cleaning our firearms.
Get some WWII USGI bore cleaner. It's formulated especially for corrosive ammo.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Den 42

DEN 42 is the absolute best WW11 ball I have ever used. Made Expert with it shooting a REM 03. Great stuff, wish I still had a bunch. KB
Old 03-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
And use it outside. The smell of it lingers....................for years. But it's good stuff.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1903 View Post
DEN 42 is the absolute best WW11 ball I have ever used. Made Expert with it shooting a REM 03. Great stuff, wish I still had a bunch. KB
Well, shoot, maybe I shouldn't have let this sealed can of DEN Ammo go on Saturday. (1320 rounds for $450.)

https://christys.hibid.com/lot/38563...al-1320-rounds
Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

That was the last year for M72 Match. It is good ammo. NOT great ammo.

It's worth about 1.25 - 1.50 per round to guys that like the old Boxes.

I would give you a buck a round for it if that is of any help.

Thats my opinion. Yours may well be different.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
Not needed. I thought I read somewhere that it was a carcinogenic? Water is what dissolves salt. Hot water followed by a normal cleaning with some oil is just fine. I personally use a water ballistol mix. Super cheap and I spray the crap out of the rifle if corrosive is fired. When it dries, it leaves a protective coating, sort of like hoppies #9.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk