Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Default Barrel cleaning

I have a 1917 enfield eddystone and a 1903 Springfield Mark 1.
After shooting them numerous times and cleanings. I'm still getting copper and carbon. I also noticed that when I pull them out for oil rub down and barrel cleaning , I'm still getting really dirty patches and copper. What is it going to take to get the barrels clean.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:29 PM

The answer to your question is really an unknown since there is no sure way of telling just how many hundreds, or thousands, of rounds have been fired through either rifle since they were issued; furthermore, we owners of such rifles have no idea how well, or how often, the bores were cleaned previously.

As for standard cleaners, I have had excellent results with Sweets 762, JB Non-Embedding Bore Paste, Kroil, and Outers Foul Out. Needless to say, there are countless others available that are equally well qualified too. I used to use Hoppes 9, but never will again.

For especially fouled bores, electrolysis has been proven to be most effective. Here is a photo tutorial that describes how to do it. http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...%0A%3Cbr%3E%0A
Old 03-14-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripper clip View Post
The answer to your question is really an unknown since there is no sure way of telling just how many hundreds, or thousands, of rounds have been fired through either rifle since they were issued; furthermore, we owners of such rifles have no idea how well, or how often, the bores were cleaned previously.

As for standard cleaners, I have had excellent results with Sweets 762, JB Non-Embedding Bore Paste, Kroil, and Outers Foul Out. Needless to say, there are countless others available that are equally well qualified too. I used to use Hoppes 9, but never will again.

For especially fouled bores, electrolysis has been proven to be most effective. Here is a photo tutorial that describes how to do it. http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...%0A%3Cbr%3E%0A
Great info thank you sir.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:24 PM

I don't know what the opinions are on here about it but I have used Remington 40X bore cleaner on the rough frosted bores and the patches come out black as coal for awhile, and it has cleaned up some bores I thought were pretty bad to begin with. Brought black crud and fouling out of bores I thought were pretty clean too.

I soak a brass brush with it and make a few passes, then wrap a patch around a brush and soak it for several passes, then once they start coming clean I make a few passes with #9 or you can use whatever you prefer to finish the job.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:26 PM

Here,
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...making-a-mess/

This stuff works great, any other way and I scrub forever (and go through a "lot" of patches). Get it with the plastic tube and cone tip (pictured). That tip goes in the chamber and seals the bore off, right size for .30 cal, press the button and let off immediately is all it takes. I leave it set 1 hour and repeat. As their add says, try it on a barrel that you think is clean and you'll see how well it works. As a caution, do not let this stuff get on any of the wife's furniture it will take the finish off faster than you can wipe it off.

Last edited by Randy A; 03-14-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 PM

Hi Fossil,

Stripper clip & the others seem to have covered all the options!
I borrowed, then bought a Outers electronic bore cleaner. That is my ULTIMATE weapon for a copper or fouled barrel!
I have a Moslin Nagant that I spent a good 8 hours cleaning with little improvement!
Went through layers of green & black stuff! At the 8 hour mark, the bore was little better, the lands & groves were better defined! That is when I used the Outers kit!

The paste of gunk that came out on the iron rod inside the bore, looked like old green thick grease! Went through the bore with a new brush & the bore was at last -CLEAN!
The bore was finished with some JB bore paste & to this day it takes just a few patch's to come up with a clean patch!

Good luck,
broom
Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 PM

I have a couple ac charging plugins laying around will try this first.
Thx to all for the input.
Fossil location Ga X mass guy.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 PM

The old axiom of keep pushing cleaning patches through the bore until they come
Out clean was never stated with old military surplus rifles in mind!
Many will never be “clean” by the above standard.
I use sweets 7.62 which gets a lot ( not alll mind you) of the copper fouling out, and many others have favorite recipes that work well also. I accept clean enough as my standard especially if the rifle is shooting accurately
Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Hi Guys,

There are now directions to build a nice electronic unit here at the CMP site & other online gun-related sites. It's not hard to build your own unit.
I made one that was very primitive, used two D cell flashlight battery's.
You don't need much current or some fraction of a amp!
Honestly I did not trust the home made unit. (This was a # of years ago), as I had no idea how long it should run! I had no guide line to judge the results.

I bought the Outers unit, as it had a light to tell me when it was clean. Rather then over-using it & ruin a barrel.
Don't know if Outers still sells the unit, as there was not much demand for it.

There are formula's out there on the net, for the chemical fluid needed to lift the copper or lead from the bore --They are different!-- READ up on this subject, BEFORE you try it on your firearm.

broom
Old 03-19-2018, 03:47 AM

Exclamation

What you may also find is that by cleaning those barrels, especially the 17, completely, your accuracy may actually suffer until they get to a certain level of fouling again. Unless, of course, when you complete the cleaning the barrels are pristine. In marginal barrels that are heavily fouled removing all the copper fouling often has a negative effect until a certain amount of fouling is re-deposited in the imperfections again. Finding the ideal level is always a challenge and maintaining it there even harder.