Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 09:25 PM

Default HXP Brass Longevity

How many reloads do you expect out of your .30-06 Garand brass? I'm using Winchester primers, 46.5 grns IMR 4895, and 168 grn Nosler Custom Competion and Sierra Match King HPBT's.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 AM

I have used my HXP brass 5 or 6 times so far with a load similar to yours, 46 grns IMR 4895 and 150 Sierra Match King. There is no sign of fatigue yet except for the extractor bends on the rim. I plan on scrapping this brass after the next use,not because I think it will fail, just want to use up some of the other once fired brass I have. A few of my shooting buddies want the brass and have no problem reloading it some more. Hope this helps. Eddie
Old 09-29-2017, 10:11 AM

I'm using X-dies....I'm afraid the rims will be destroyed before anything else goes bad..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM

With few exceptions, classic case separations are exceedingly rare in 30-06 case . I do not keep track of the number of load cycles , preferring to depend on case inspection. The HXP cases will last for many cycles until rim damage and neck splits start accumulating. Your load intensity and resizing practices will affect case life, but 15 to 20 cycles would not be out of the norm. Good Shooting. ..
Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM

I typically lose them before I have to throw them out. One for some I've loaded 6-7 times
Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
With few exceptions, classic case separations are exceedingly rare in 30-06 case . I do not keep track of the number of load cycles , preferring to depend on case inspection. The HXP cases will last for many cycles until rim damage and neck splits start accumulating. Your load intensity and resizing practices will affect case life, but 15 to 20 cycles would not be out of the norm. Good Shooting. ..
My experience exactly. I don't keep track of how many times cases have been used, and just look for split necks when I go to reload them. That's the only failure mode I've come across so far.

Last edited by la Fiere; 09-29-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 09-29-2017, 02:16 PM

I've loaded them so many times I've lost count . . . .

In a bolt gun, HXP lasts (with mild loads) 'till the primer pocket finally expands to the point of no longer holding a new primer. I think the Greek brass is SLIGHTLY softer in the head area than American GI brass.

As others have said, in a Garand, the rims take a terrible pounding . . . . So much so, that the brass is deemed junk BEFORE the primer pocket expands to uselessness. All-in-all though, the brass is very good for quite a long time! --Jim
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM

I reload once fired PPU brass that I fired as new. On the first reload I had a case that would not eject because the rim was torn off. Just an FYI.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Rim damage to the case on the M1 for me has been minor and I’ve never had one rip off or bend excessively. I don’t think it’s been enough to affect case headspace, the bolt probably takes care of very minor distortion upon clambering the cartridge.

I’ve reloaded RP brass at least 30 times, until I started getting split necks. Annealing might have prevented this. Haven’t noticed loose primers yet. I wish RP was still available. I thought about tossing the batch of 200, but, waste not want not, I’ll reload them until the necks crack.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 AM

After having made Post #6 above three weeks ago I had an HXP case fail at the shoulder at the Western Games yesterday.

The neck was stuck in the chamber with the rest of the case ejecting.

I full-length re-size with standard (not small base) RCBS dies. The case in question had a lot of reloads on it. It had mostly been fired in, and failed in, my games Garand which has a relatively new Krieger barrel and tight headspace. My loads are mild (46.7 grains of 4064 with a 168 SMK).

I learned something and no longer think that split necks are the only way HXP brass fails.

Last edited by la Fiere; 10-28-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added photos of failed case.