Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Default Imr 4064

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but has anyone else been having issues finding IMR 4064 powder locally?
Seems like everyone here in the North Texas area is fresh out.
Is it because of the switch over from Canada to Switzerland for IMR powders that I heard about, or do ya'll think it's something else?
It's even out on a number of websites (and even then, hazmat fees suck alongside shipping). My local shooting club's reloading wholesaler is even having trouble finding it. Same with IMR 4895.
I know there's still plenty of Varget available (imagine that versus IMR powders), but my milsurp rifles all like 4064.
Anyone got their ear to the ground on this?
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Wheelgunner View Post
Not sure if this is then right place to post this or not, but has anyone else been having issues finding IMR 4064 powder locally?
Seems like everyone here in the North Texas area is fresh out.
Is it because of the switch over from Canada to Switzerland for IMR powders that I heard about, or do ya'll think it's something else?
It's even out on a number of websites (and even then, hazmat fees suck alongside shipping). My local shooting club's reloading wholesaler is even having trouble finding it. Same with IMR 4895.
I know there's still plenty of Varget available (imagine that versus IMR powders), but my milsurp rifles all like 4064.
Anyone got their ear to the ground on this?
Thanks!
Available at mid south and powder valley.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 PM

Powder Valley is out and Midsouth is gonna ding me $28 for hazmat and another $12 for shipping and insurance.
In the end, unless I order $400 or more in powder, I'd almost be better off buying it at Academy even after taxes ($27 per pound online vs $29ish in store per pound).
And I just don't need that much darn powder around

HOWEVER, a lot of online stores ARE running President's Day sales with no shipping charges thru midnight and I just snagged me some for $25 a lb after hazmat from Brownells of all places

Thanks for the breadcrumbs, so to speak

EDIT: Found it on Powder Valley's site after I refreshed a couple of time. Funky...

Sorry if it seemed like whining.
Was just always kinda convenient to pop by Academy to grab a pound of powder after a day at the range.

Last edited by DFW Wheelgunner; 02-19-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 AM

DFW,I have never heard of this switch from Canada to Switzerland of IMR powders.
Does anyone have more info as to when and why this happened?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBGood View Post
DFW,I have never heard of this switch from Canada to Switzerland of IMR powders.
Does anyone have more info as to when and why this happened?

Apparently it's been happening for a little while now:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...e_in_Switzerla

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=13&t=424701

Also some good info in this thread about where IMR powders are made and why:
http://ukvarminting.com/topic/34948-...oader-powders/

A bunch of the new 8 lb jugs say Made in Switzerland now instead of Canada. That one thread about Trudeau causing headaches for Hogdon north of the border certainly sounds plausible...

I checked over the MSDS sheets for IMRs extruded powders and it still states they're all made by General Dynamics in Canada...but the info hasn't been updated since 2014. Either they're lax on changing info or they're not saying something. Curiouser and curiouser...
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM

LGS in San Antonio has it, but at at MSRP. Big Box stores (e.g. Bass Pro) have been devoid of it for weeks. Thanks for the Brownells tip.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Banned

My Local shops have both 4064 and 4895 and several other IMR Powders and Varget in stock,Maybe its just a Temp situation there ask your local shop owner if he can order you some.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:36 PM

Some one on the shotgun forum linked here wondered if his Swiss 4064 would make identical loads as his Canadian.

Well I have a recent plastic 8lb jug of Canadian 4064 and an older white metal tin...Also Canadian.

The older tin of 4064 runs 200fps SLOWER than the newer plastic jug 4064 in my 30-06 loads. This is one reason I don't buy 1lb cans. I like to work up a good load and be able to duplicate that ammo for a while. I now have loads for both 4064, but will start all over when I buy Swiss.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 PM

I was having the same issue trying to find 4064 locally (Fort Worth). Midsouth had a deal a couple weeks back, of no hazmat with orders over $150, ordered an 8 lb jug, done. Watch the ads of Midway, Brownells, Midsouth and others. It seems lately a lot of the retailers are running that special lately. FWIW.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:52 AM

I wonder if the new Swiss IMR-4064 will be the same stuff as Accurate 4064? Accurate always jobbed their powders out on the global market, and there's only so many plants making the stuff.

In a side note it's somewhat disconcerting how few powders are made in the U.S. (and at this point, NO extruded powders). It's easy to envision a future anti-gun administration slapping an import ban or huge tariff on imported powders for the purposes of turning your gun safe a boat-anchor safe.