Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 PM

OP:

Not sure if this helps but after many yrs in the Army............

Turning in equipment is not selective. What I mean is if a unit was told to turn in weapons, vehicles whatever for over haul..... All were turned in..... they didn't look and say, "Oh this one is new, it doesn't need it." That was the point to the overhaul: check all the weapons to make sure they were good.

My assumption is the 1903's were treated the same as the M1's. They were stripped down to a barreled receiver for inspection, marking and built back up with any serviceable parts they had to make it complete again. They didn't care about us collecting them 70yrs later.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Like many, the reason for the rebuild will not ever be known, but to place it in theater, when most are a complete mystery, especially 1903A3s, is pretty cool regardless in my mind!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 PM

The US and allies were staging for the invasion of mainland Japan then, consolidating soldiers and weapons in Australia and China, so the rebuild date makes perfect sense to me. Thank god they dropped Fat Boy and ended the War, or I likley would never have been born.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 PM

I had one that was done in Australia as well.

To add it the oddity, it was a brand new looking receiver with no wear, with a SC barrel (and a 6 grove!)

Same markings on it. My take (and well could be totally wrong) was the parts were there, someone was getting paid to work so they put it together.

The receiver was pristine. You can see replacing a barrel but you would think if it was needed the receiver would have had wear on it.

This one had been drilled and tapped so no collector value though certainly an oddity.

Issue of rifles like that could certainly been done for non front-line troops. Depending on where anyone was at, often there was still Japanese hide outs.

I second the atom bomb drop, my dad was on a Gun Boat at Okinawa when the war ended. His ship would have been in the first wave of landing craft in an invasion supporting them.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navynambu View Post
The US and allies were staging for the invasion of mainland Japan then, consolidating soldiers and weapons in Australia and China, so the rebuild date makes perfect sense to me. Thank god they dropped Fat Boy and ended the War, or I likley would never have been born.
That's not quite right. Here's a passage describing preparations for Operation Olympic from Reports of General MacArthur (vol. 1), written by his staff:

The Philippines, Ryukyus, Marianas, and Hawaii were the four Pacific bases chosen to stage, equip, and mount the invasion forces.

No mention of either Australia or China. Brisbane is about 4,000 miles from Tokyo; a long way to be much help.

The plan for Operation Coronet was not complete until just after the A-bombs, so no direct action was taken to execute it.