Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Value for a Krag?

I am trying to help out a friend who is disposing of a relative's estate. He has what looks to me like a very nice example of a Springfield Krag 1898, made in 1903, per the cartouche. Pictures enclosed. Sorry about the quality. Neither of us really knows much about these rifles. What would be the best way to get a valuation for this rifle? Are the CMP auction prices a good indication?

He also has a bayonet but I haven't seen it and he doesn't know for sure if it goes with the Krag. If that does belong to the Krag, does that make a difference?

Thanks for your thoughts.

https://imgur.com/a/QSnPd

(Note - I have no stake in this rifle.)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Assuming the bore is in good condition, 1898 Krags in original condition go for in the $600-1000 range - I'd say that this one, maybe in the $750 range, again, assuming the bore is in good condition (no pitting, etc.).

The 1898 rifle is the most common Krag.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
Assuming the bore is in good condition, 1898 Krags in original condition go for in the $600-1000 range - I'd say that this one, maybe in the $750 range, again, assuming the bore is in good condition (no pitting, etc.).

The 1898 rifle is the most common Krag.
Sounds about right. I was going to say "north of $700" (assuming bore is good). Add (something, not sure how much) if the bayo goes with it.

CMP auctions are not a good indication of real world values. You'd be better looking at completed Gunbroker auctions.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:55 AM

PM sent
Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 AM

As for the bayonet, it depends on the date (earlier dates like 1899 and earlier are worth more) and if it comes with the scabbard. A "generic" Krag bayonet and scabbard fetch somewhere about $125-165.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:03 AM

And also, you say 1903 "as per the cartouche." If that's on the stock, that doesnt' necessarily mean the rifle is made in 1903, just the stock.
1903 production numbers were - Serial # 398566 - 460407

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.