Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2019, 01:27 PM

Default 6.5x55 Swedish Garand - IT LIVES!

Hey guys,

I've been talking about this project for a long time, but it's finally nearing completion! I just have to nail down my gas port size. I have a pretty good idea of what I need based on some quickload data that someone provided on another forum, but it will probably involve some trial and error at the range.

Eight rounds of Swedish surplus just barely fit into an en-bloc clip (the base diameter is .480" rather than the standard ".473), and they seem to fit the bolt face fine on every bolt I've tested. Only live fire will tell if it actually cycles as smoothly as it should.

I plan to switch the furniture that's on there now for a new production walnut or hackberry set. If using hackberry, I might go for a really light nordic look. Not sure yet.

Anyway, I'll post again once I have it cycling reliably!

Steve
Old 09-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Following this with interest. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Amazing thank you for posting
Old 09-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been talking about this project for a long time, but it's finally nearing completion! I just have to nail down my gas port size. I have a pretty good idea of what I need based on some quickload data that someone provided on another forum, but it will probably involve some trial and error at the range.

Eight rounds of Swedish surplus just barely fit into an en-bloc clip (the base diameter is .480" rather than the standard ".473), and they seem to fit the bolt face fine on every bolt I've tested. Only live fire will tell if it actually cycles as smoothly as it should.

I plan to switch the furniture that's on there now for a new production walnut or hackberry set. If using hackberry, I might go for a really light nordic look. Not sure yet.

Anyway, I'll post again once I have it cycling reliably!

Steve
Why not just start with a too small hole, then drill it out larger, slowly, till it starts to function reliably. then just a tiny bit more to compensate for gas sysem wear over time, as well as a margin of error. Calculations don't always pan out, and it might lead you to too large a hole from the get go, and then, you are "skewered". Being a 6mm Remington fan, I always thought that would be neat in a Garand. 6.5x55 is great, too.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

AUV: Assault Utility Vehicle

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.

Last edited by Big_Red; 10-01-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Snip redundant photo
Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Following this with interest. Sincerely. bruce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
Amazing thank you for posting
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Why not just start with a too small hole, then drill it out larger, slowly, till it starts to function reliably. then just a tiny bit more to compensate for gas sysem wear over time, as well as a margin of error. Calculations don't always pan out, and it might lead you to too large a hole from the get go, and then, you are "skewered". Being a 6mm Remington fan, I always thought that would be neat in a Garand. 6.5x55 is great, too.
Thatís the plan! The QuickLoad numbers were really just to know what ballpark I should be in. Interestingly, port pressure for most 6.5x55 loads is very comparable to 30-06 loads when using the same powders. I may end up running an adjustable plug, but I really only have one load for my 6.5x55, so it may be best to just work up till it cycles and call it a day.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-21-2019, 04:10 PM

The 6.5mm Swedish cartridge is really highly regarded for ballistics and terminal performance, including accuracy. You'll have a slightly thicker barrel, which can help consistency. What do you intend to use it for? Hunting? Long range targets?

My personal preference is CMP walnut. It's profiled to be the most comfortable in the hand stock I've ever found on a Garand. I've looked at hackberry, but haven't handled it enough to see if there's any difference.

Last edited by Me Not You; 09-21-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
The 6.5mm Swedish cartridge is really highly regarded for ballistics and terminal performance, including accuracy. You'll have a slightly thicker barrel, which can help consistency. What do you intend to use it for? Hunting? Long range targets?
I plan to mostly just shoot it at my range, which goes out to 600 yd.

The major appeal to me is that I have a ton of primed brass that I got for about $0.02 a piece, and I load it with cheap WC872 surplus powder that I got for about $5/lb. I’m about to start swaging my own bullets too. I have all the equipment, just not enough time...

It should produce significantly less felt recoil than M2 Ball if it behaves like it does in my bolt actions!

For the stock I’m probably just going to order a Special RG, which comes with CMP walnut. I need a receiver and op rod to complete another project, so I figure that might be a good deal.

Steve

Last edited by s11033; 09-21-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:33 PM

With the smaller bore, your barrel will be more rigid ("stiffer"), inherently, but there will be issues with copper fouling. I've ALWAYS cleaned my Swedes, Ljungmann's, and related bolt rifles in that and the Italian and Japanese cartridges with copper fouling solvent at every convenient interval. Bullets with harder jackets will deposit less metal than others.

Should be very accurate.

Correct gas port between 5/64" and 3/32" somewhere will probably be correct. Better to let the piece run a little slow (operating rod reciprocation, that is) if possible.

My 7mm. (7x57 rimless Mauser) was wonderful.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 View Post
With the smaller bore, your barrel will be more rigid ("stiffer"), inherently, but there will be issues with copper fouling. I've ALWAYS cleaned my Swedes, Ljungmann's, and related bolt rifles in that and the Italian and Japanese cartridges with copper fouling solvent at every convenient interval. Bullets with harder jackets will deposit less metal than others.

Should be very accurate.

Correct gas port between 5/64" and 3/32" somewhere will probably be correct. Better to let the piece run a little slow (operating rod reciprocation, that is) if possible.

My 7mm. (7x57 rimless Mauser) was wonderful.
Thanks a lot for the input, those port dimensions sound about right. So you built a Garand in 7x57?

Steve
Old 09-21-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Thanks a lot for the input, those port dimensions sound about right. So you built a Garand in 7x57?

Steve
How did you get the barrel? When Gene Barnett was turning barrels, he would do special calibers, but he is retired. I don't know if he is even with us any longer. Does anyone know?

Should be a really slick, light recoiling rifle. I am following and curious about the results.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

AUV: Assault Utility Vehicle

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.

Tags
6.5x55, garand, project, swede, swedish