Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Default Opinions on this 3-44 Inland M1 Carbine?

Hello all!

This is my first post on the forum, and my first foray into the world of M1 Carbines. I was hoping to get some input from you guys (the experts) on a carbine I recently picked up. I've tried to take a bunch of detailed pics which I have uploaded and notated in an imgur album, which I will include the link to at the end of my post.

The carbine in question in an Inland from March of 1944. I strolled into my local gun shop and spotted this beauty, and although I've the farthest thing from an expert on these things, immediately noticed several early features such as the flip sight, lack of bayonet lug, and push button safety. Checked the price tag expecting to be putting it down in disappointment, but saw it was listed at $799. Was filling out the paperwork minutes later.

I've already typed up most of the details and my observations which you will find along with the pictures in the album, so I'll try to keep it brief here. I mainly would like some input on whether or not you think this looks original, or anything that you notice that may be "off" about it. I'm also trying to ascertain it's value, as I would really like to fire it, but if it turns out to be a collector grade of sorts, I'd hate to risk hurting any value there.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to reading your opinions. If you have any questions or require better photos of anything, please feel free to ask.

Here is the link to my album (be warned: somewhat pic heavy)= https://imgur.com/a/ELEW5Wp
Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Nice carbine, difficult to tell from limited photos but I would say it’s correct. I have one very similar 3-44 inland only obvious difference is a round bolt on mine and a Winchester style flip sight. You did very well !
Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback! If there is anything else I can get better pictures of just let me know and I'd be happy to do so if they're needed to tell more about it.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:12 PM

That's a beauty, and an awesome price. I have one close to yours, and the parts are the same (down to N-A flipper). Sure looks original to me. Nice pick up!!
Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM

The blue ink has been observed,

It has been speculated it is a Julian date. In this case i would think 59th day of 1944 or 28 Feb 1944

the 5 digit numbers on stocks for Steering Gear have not been figured out

Here is a similar one
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...html?KW=julian

Last edited by New2Brass; 02-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 PM

Looks good, but whoever put that abomination of an barrel band screw on should be flogged repeatedly.

Btw, I have had two Inland carbines in this serial range, one with an N-A flip like yours and another with an Underwood flip that I still have.

Last edited by deldriver; 02-07-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added more text
Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Some of the band screws on a type 2 band were not staked as they are on type 3 bands. So hopefully the threads are not stripped in the band nut. With the correct screw, the nut can be staked and threads chased and maybe you can salvage the band.
Of the Inland 5.0 carbines I have, at least one has a N-A flip rear sight.

Last edited by 6 Ring; 02-08-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:37 PM

Inland or any maker for that matter are so interesting in the Transitional periods.
I have 2 Inland 5,0..... 1 with .U. original flip, the other with small round S only on flip.

Love the variations you see...... But can't help but think how many were 'Wrongly Corrected' due to the books available years back.

Enjoy your 3-44 Great purchase and Thx for sharing it.

Charlie-P777

Last edited by painter777; 02-07-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add Wrongly to Corrected
Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 PM

About shooting it, it boils down to preference. Some will not own a gun they don't shoot. Casual shooting won't hurt value much but there is always the risk of something breaking or cracking, albeit a low risk. My approach is to have both "shooters" and "collectors". I don't shoot my collector grade rifles. They are too hard to come by. Yours is collector grade in my book. But there is no right or wrong answer do as you please.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 PM

P7
As far as correcting the 5.0 range, the books are wrong on many parts so one "corrected" will be wrong.
They are easy to spot just like the OP's carbine is easy to spot as "nice".
Years ago, I read someone had an original IP and he shot it. A few tried to tell him it was a risk. He was adamant that he will continue to shoot it. About four months later, he was looking for an IP bolt. His broke while he was shooting it.

Tags
1944, inland, m1 carbine, non-refurb, original