Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2019, 04:59 PM

Default M1A1 high wood stock value?

I have a high wood M1A1 stock I am considering selling but would like to get some idea as to value. I know what the low wood' go for but have not seen many high wood stocks listed for sale. This one is in decent shape with nice leather, IO marked fore stock and IO and small cross cannons on the bottom of the pistol grip and no rebuild marks. https://photos.app.goo.gl/YfSrVFHvgevZN3R47

Last edited by kro; 02-02-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Are there any type 2 or 3 barrel band impressions in the stock or just type1?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:00 PM

Just type 1 band marks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gxtDfT8xB5fFXRy4A

Last edited by kro; 02-02-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kro View Post
Irrelevant ..totally irrelevant. These stocks were used post WWII so any bbl band mark can be there.

Mine is a Atlanta Arsenal marked stock and they did not alter it to a low wood ..thus some stocks slipped by and remained high woods.

The question of the OP is stock worth. BBL marks don't even register on the radar when evaluating such a stock.

My guess, that stock in photos here is pushing $2000. If other things are all correct and I can't see details to say they are / are not.

How many high woods you seen on CMP auctions...yeah and how many rotted POS M1A1 stocks with pin repairs went for insane prices ...a lot of them did.

High wood M1a1 Stock...where ya gonna find another ?

My advice is never buy or chase M1A1 stocks cause you can be skunked but if you do, know what you are looking at and any doubts, walk away.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Irrelevant? Really? So a stock that does not show evidence of postwar reissue is worth no more than a rebuild? I call **************** !
Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 AM

There is one on Ebay right now for $2,500
Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 AM

I agree, if one wants as nice a correction as possible then finding a stock with band impressions matching the rifle being restored is very relevant. Personally, in the few cases recently where I need to replace a stock, (maybe 3 times in 4 years) I have waited for just the right one with the correct band marks. Now, if that kind of stuff doesn't matter then go right ahead since that's up to the individual owner, but expect a chance of lower value possibly.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxipum View Post
Irrelevant? Really? So a stock that does not show evidence of postwar reissue is worth no more than a rebuild? I call **************** !
Call what you will but it ain't 1945 no longer and High wood M1A1 stocks are plumb hard to find....chances are your train won't pull up to the station if you simply have to have the right bbl band marks but go ahead...buy the ticket.

I see another here likes bbl bands marks: congrats you have company now, two of you do exist on the planet ....seriously guys, you got a heck of a hunt ahead of you and good luck.

I doubt 20 yrs from now anyone will be alive that cares about bbl band marks.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Call what you will but it ain't 1945 no longer and High wood M1A1 stocks are plumb hard to find....chances are your train won't pull up to the station if you simply have to have the right bbl band marks but go ahead...buy the ticket.

I see another here likes bbl bands marks: congrats you have company now, two of you do exist on the planet ....seriously guys, you got a heck of a hunt ahead of you and good luck.

I doubt 20 yrs from now anyone will be alive that cares about bbl band marks.
Listen, your last comment is about the only thing we potentially agree on. I can promise you that there are more than two of us on the planet you describe, but since you sound so sure of yourself why should I even debate your point? There are all kinds of collectors out there and thus the standards vary for what is an acceptable restoration, if anyone should even restore carbines to begin with. It's beyond rare that I do anything to the few carbines that I have, but if I do I'm not just going to slap any part on it without thinking it through. As I've said, and others too, to each their own in the collecting world. It's always my hope that eventually it will work itself out in the long run, but that thinking is perhaps optimistic.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:31 AM

I disagree. In 20 years most of us will still be alive and still fond of the M1 Carbines paying attention to the nuances that determine perceived value in the same way anything else is perceived. Do people care if baseball cards are folded in the middle or have the edges trimmed?