Go Back   CMP Forums > Regional Matches and Events > Great Lakes > Minnesota
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Another Update:

The clinic on April 21st has been filled. But there is plenty of spots open for the Military Match that is being held after.

For more details just drop me a line.

Tom
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM

For those of you that are attending the Clinic and Matches at GRRC this summer here is a list of things to bring/ consider to making you day as fun as possible:
• Favorite non alcoholic beverage – water, gator aid etc
• Bag lunch – we don’t stop and have a lunch break so you eat it when you get a chance usually when you are in the pits.
• Bug Spray
• Sun Block
• Rain Gear
• Basically the things you would need when you go hiking in the woods.
Please email me at tjtorborg@aol.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM

Dress in layers. It gets pretty hot in the pits and on the line by afternoon. Wear light colors and a brimmed hat if you don't like gnats. A folding camp chair will be useful at times.

I have 2 spare bolt rifles if anybody needs a firearm or just wants to try something different. Drop me a PM. They're not pretty but they are accurate enough to be competetive. I have ammo cheap for the M39, you can find GP11 or PRVI commercial for the swiss G11

Last edited by Polaris; 04-16-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Have a quick question?

I have a new stock/USGI replacement stock for my garand, however I have never changed stocks on a garand or have the right tools. Will someone there be able to help me switch the stock out.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinks352 View Post
Have a quick question?

I have a new stock/USGI replacement stock for my garand, however I have never changed stocks on a garand or have the right tools. Will someone there be able to help me switch the stock out.
Sorry, but I'm not sure there will be time to switch out your stock before the match. There also may be somethings that come up that really can't be taken care of at the range. If you are talking about just the buttstock then maybe but to swap out the handguards means taking everything apart. Not sure the back of someone's truck is the best place to fit a new stock.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinks352 View Post
Have a quick question?

Maybe. I don't have the "right" tools but I've done it with a rubber mallet and a screwdriver (handguards) Buttstock is simple and requires no special tools. I'm not doing the clinic so I would have time.

That being said, you really don't want to change your stock before the match. After changing a stock on a Garand it takes at least 20 rounds to settle in and stablize your point of impact. If you have a useable stock right now, leave it on 'till after the shoot. If you don't, shoot something else. If you're just changing the buttstock and not handguards and no additional fitting is required, there are no special tools required. You can swap it in under a minute after the match. Current weather prediction is for scattered showers also so keep that in mind.

Last edited by Polaris; 04-19-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Polaris,

That's a good point I keep forgetting that there will be more people shooting the match that weren't in the clinic. I also agree that you don't want to do it right before a match because of the settle in. Although he might get lucky and the settleing in isn't too much and will hold black and only costing a few points. Then again with a 30 round match there really aren't that many points to begin with.

Another good point is the weather. If it is raining to hard we will have some delays and we could do it then. Since the targets are cardboard and the glue is water soluable they can't take much rain. If it is just a light rain off and on then we will probably just shoot right through it. That's what they do at Camp Perry.

See you there,

Tom
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I agree that the stock is the easy part, I was more interested in the handgaurds.

I'll bring it with and show you guys what I have to work with.

Can't wait till Saturday.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Can't remember, what time does the clinic start at?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 AM

Brinks,
Don't hold me to it, but I thought it was 0730.

Derek

I just found the entry form. It starts at 0800 but they want you to be there by 0730.

Last edited by Deeka; 04-20-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Just found the start time.