Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2020, 07:01 PM

Yea Tom. I loved the look on your face when you pulled in 1 1/2 hours early and I was already sitting there eating my breakfast.

good times

Rob
Old 10-17-2020, 08:24 PM

Rob, remember staying overnight years ago at the old store. For IHC release. That was getting there really early!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinandKim View Post
Rob, remember staying overnight years ago at the old store. For IHC release. That was getting there really early!
Justin,
Yea I do remember. Not the crowd I was expecting but still fun,

ROB
Old 10-19-2020, 09:31 PM

Made my second trip to the CMP this past Thursday. This time brought a friend for his first trip. We both left with service grade 1917's. His was a Remington with Winchester barrel and mine was a Winchester serial # 52,xxx with a Winchester barrel dated 11/17. The stock was a Remington with nice cartouches. Staff were very kind and helpful in helping us find these excellent rifles.

Last edited by Smartguyherring; 10-19-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:24 PM

I'm going there Friday for my 40th Bday, Hoping to pick up a nice 1903a3 and a 1917. Going to the TMP to shoot some for the first time also.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Found a 4.2 mil SA that is mostly correct and looks to have been left in a musty basement for the last 50 years at least. I am thinking it reminds me of some of the Philippine Returns.
The stock and other wood are pretty much undamaged and has a really nice SA JLG cart. Everything inside the rifle looks right. Maybe the only exception would be the Gas Cylinder, Lock and Screw. They look like they have been there a while but do not look correct. I am not inclined to change anything until I dig in a little more. I think these Springfield start of production rifles are pretty interesting and want to learn a bit more about it. So now I am not going to strike out which pretty cool. I always like to find something to make the 4 hour ride home a bit brighter.

After getting home and cleaning and inspecting the 4.2 SA rifle I found that the Front Sight was a WRA with a punch mark and an A Screw (bonus). The Gas Lock was a WWII SA and the Gas Screw was a simple o which I believe to be WRA Win13.
The rest was all correct. The stock nicely marked with a VERY clear SA JLG Cart.
I can't even express how happy I am with this example of an SA 4.2 mil SA.
An easy fix and already done
Glad to have a really nice 4.2 mil (mostly) original rifle in my collection.

The Smith Corona looks to be largely unused but with a Remington bolt. No rebuild markings. I am overly happy with this rifle as well. Just got to find a bolt, I think. Not too exited to make any changes to the -A3. It is that nice though I have posted a WTB for a SC bolt. Can't help it

Oh well, now for my nest trip........

Rob
Old Today, 04:31 AM

Rob, is the bolt sleeve SC? It has been reported here in the CMP forums that SC bolts were often replaced with RA bolts to more fully seat when chambering a round, as the beefier SC bolt legs would otherwise require notching the stock. The SC bolt sleeve would be retained. I have such an SC A3, all SC except the RA bolt within an SC sleeve. Mine is well-worn however.