Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
OP, for the money you have spent buying chargemasters, you could've bought more than one autotrickler.
Who says I don't have on laying around collecting dust?

For what I do, Chargemasters and Dillons do all I need in a timely manner. Each to their own on what they shoot and how they prep for it.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterMeasure View Post

For what I do, Chargemasters and Dillons do all I need in a timely manner. Each to their own on what they shoot and how they prep for it.
RCBS ought to be paying you as some kind of product tester, especially if you have an autotrickler collecting dust. My autotrickler is ridiculously fast for the statistics it provides.

These chargemaster threads are all the same. People want some justification that the thing is worth a darn. The one I had was so frighteningly slow and poor in terms of drift, I smashed it with a hammer and threw it in the trash. Tried to call RCBS, it was a nightmare of serpentine auto-attendant hell. No way I could bring myself to sell something like that used to a fellow shooter. I went back to measuring charges on a 10 10 until I bought an autotricker.

I was a sucker, and RCBS got my money. I knew I had been screwed when I searched the internet and found people modifying the things with McDonalds straws. I don't like to pay my money to do product testing for someone else.

Last edited by WindLogik; 10-17-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 PM

Typical of my experience with all electronic strain gauge scales is that the stability and accuracy is catch as catch can. I've got two that never drift significantly and are accurate as checked on my Torbal analytical balance. One is a battery-operated CED pocket scale that set me back over $100 and the other a National Metallic scale I got on sale for $25. I had one, now defunct Lyman that was OK, but needed to be zeroed with some frequency. I have a PACT that I wouldn't trust to weigh coffee for my morning cup. Apparently PACT had constant headaches with these scales and their dispensers as they stopped making or servicing them. The other is a not-inexpensive Acculab 123 that just won't stay on zero well. It's fine for 0.1 grain precision, but not for the 0.015 grain precision it resolves. The last one purchased is the Torbal, and it has sold me on magnetic restoration transducers. Rock steady and weighs and settles faster than the much lower resolution scales and no drifting or shifting of the last digit. One of the first things I did with it was to calibrate all my old checkweights, some of which were further off than you might expect. Terrific tool.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member

Last edited by Unclenick; 10-19-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Have you tried a prometheus gen 2?
Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Have you tried a prometheus gen 2?
I have not because it is overkill for my needs and way more Willy Wonka in design than my OCD cares for. My shooting is culling hogs at my ranch out to 400 yards and occasionally ringing steel at 600 yards. I know it is a fine machine for the LR shooters that need that level of precision.

I do have the AT "v1" on the FX120i sitting around that I picked up from a guy on a whim several years ago, whom I think was rough on it. I don't use it because the scale doesn't hold calibration. I can calibrate it and then wait an hour and then put a check weight on it and it will be off a varying degree. I pinged A&D on it at one point and was told to try things like a power conditioner before attempting a repair. I just don't want to deal with it because I am pretty sure that isn't going to fix it. And it goes back to it being more precision than I need. Heck, I now have two RL1100s on the way to me (the second was not planned) and I already bought 308 conversion kits for them, so that tells you my direction on things.
Old Today, 07:20 AM

Quote:

If you want to sell tha dust collector, let me know
Old Today, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Isn't that Florham Park, NJ?
Actually, Florham Park is the company headquarters, not the manufacturing location of the scale. Nothing wrong with the marking.
Yup...Florham Park is correct, memory failed me on that.