Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Default Fraud laws

Actually in a court of law I would have no standing to file a suit as I suffered no damages. The buyer might petition GB to rescind the sale if he is so inclined. In any event, legal fees would almost certainly exceed the amount of the sale. Another case of caveat emptor.

PS - its not Cantrell.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_robin View Post
So for us new guys, exactly how is this incorrect? I'm going through my books now but I'm curious what to look for...

Thanks!
No expert but the things that jump out to me are that it should have the elusive type 1 lock bar sights, shouldn't have a saw cut gas cylinder and he doesn't show any of the internals
Old 10-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Commonwealth arsenal, don't think I have ever seen him sell a legitimate firearm, everything or close to everything he sells is humped. He sells a lot of k98s. Hump-o-rama.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:38 PM

another thing besides what was already mentioned, look how worn the finish is on the gas screw is but the gas cylinder and gas lock has no wear
Old 10-05-2018, 05:48 PM

The crown looks messed with as well. Not quite counterbored but touched up for sure and hit with cold blue.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Canfield View Post
Actually in a court of law I would have no standing to file a suit as I suffered no damages.
Damage to your reputation as an expert in M1 Garands?

Can it be interpreted that he is saying that you claimed it was original?

If you claimed it was original and it is proven to not be original that could harm your reputation and devalue your service as an author and expert on the subject. Although the seller could claim he/she bought it from someone else that claimed it was all original and came from your collection.

I'm no lawyer and you are probably right on the legal fees running high.

Just thinking about how much I hate cheats and liars. It would be neat if you could sue him/her and destroy them.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 PM

Default ?

I don't understand your point. I've never seen that rifle and certainly haven't "passed judgment" on it. That's something, for a variety of reasons, I steer clear of.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Canfield View Post
I don't understand your point. I've never seen that rifle and certainly haven't "passed judgment" on it. That's something, for a variety of reasons, I steer clear of.
I was saying if, he is claiming that you had or if someone could reasonably interpreted the Gunbroker ad as saying that you had “passed judgment” on it, you might have a case for suing him, claiming that your reputation had been damaged therefore your expert opinion devalued.

I did not mean for you to read it as me saying you had actually held it and been fooled into thinking it was original. And to be clear I am sure I would no idea if it was original even if it was in my hands right now as I am quite the novice with Garands. I am just going by the other posts saying that it is not original.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-05-2018, 07:01 PM

OH the HORROR OF IT ALL!!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 PM

Default I understand now.

While no one hates fraud and misrepresentation more than I, there are several problems with your suggestion. Someone could claim the rifle was from my collection but that, in and of itself, doesn't mean its all original. Secondly, and more importantly from a legal standpoint, proving damages of that nature would be extremely hard to do, if impossible, not to mention coming up with a dollar amount of damages. The "injured party" here is not me but is actually the duped buyer. He could, in theory, claim he only bought the rifle because it was purportedly from my collection (although I don't see that as a big deal) thus was defrauded. When I was on the GCA Board of Directors a number of years ago, we kicked around the legal ramifications of intentional misrepresentation and the consensus was that, from a legal standpoint, there's not a lot that can be done. Probably the best course of action is for word to get around (which is usually does) regarding sellers who routinely sell bogus stuff. I really hate fake stuff purported to be genuine.

Last edited by Bruce Canfield; 10-05-2018 at 08:39 PM.