Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Out of curiosity, how many here will post they collect CMP carbines with FAT marked stocks, Blue SKy marked carbines and RTI marked Ethiopian carbines?
I do! I collect them all (originals, imports, mixmasters, ect..) and really don't give a damn what anyone thinks, my money, my carbines!
Old 07-28-2020, 02:32 PM

I don't own a carbine but like it was sed on another post Tim saved these carbines or some of them any way why he just didn't bring them all back when he could will never be known but what ever he brought these HOME and that is all that really matters getting all the USA made gun s back that we can before they are destroyed or what ever else might have happend to them so what if they are import marked and Tim has to by law. I may never own a carbine but if I do get one a import mark ain't going to bother me and if we don't quit arguwing this post will probably get deleted.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJ50 View Post
Were these "Lend-Lease" from Mussolini during the Ethiopian Campaign?
Just my contribution to the frenzy.
Mussolini was dead before the Italians got any M1 carbines. Well except for the ones shooting at them.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many here will post they collect CMP carbines with FAT marked stocks, Blue SKy marked carbines and RTI marked Ethiopian carbines? Come out of the carbine closet ...and get stoned.

In another decade all of those who are carbine zealots will be off the radar, and those who want or own carbines will be fine with just owning a nice condition WWII era M1 carbine and appreciate it's long military service here in US military and elsewhere in the world. Carbine archaeology of minutiae will die off.

The lucky ones (IMHO) are those who are happy with their M1 Carbines...could care less about if its a Rockola or Inland or mixmaster. Got a nice carbine and enjoy shooting it...life is real good.

Will the 3 who are happy owning a Blue Sky Carbine please come out of the closet ? LOL !!!!!
I wanted an IBM and got one. I'm
"fine with just owning a nice condition WWII era M1 carbine."
What I prefer no import Mark? Slightly , but it's about as small and inconspicuous as it can be and still meet the ATF requirements. It's not like anyone was heavy-handed with them and it does not affects the accuracy and unless you're looking from the bottom of the gun you don't even see it.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:

In another decade all of those who are carbine zealots will be off the radar, and those who want or own carbines will be fine with just owning a nice condition WWII era M1 carbine and appreciate it's long military service here in US military and elsewhere in the world. Carbine archaeology of minutiae will die off.
No, it won't die off due to that extremely short period of time. Not at all. It will only die down in 10 years if the economy tanks. There will no other reason it could happen. Not a chance.

Quote:
The lucky ones (IMHO) are those who are happy with their M1 Carbines...could care less about if its a Rockola or Inland or mixmaster. Got a nice carbine and enjoy shooting it...life is real good.
False. That means people can't be lucky or happy with their original Rockola. That's a weird viewpoint.

Quote:
Will the 3 who are happy owning a Blue Sky Carbine please come out of the closet ? LOL !!!!!
You gotta learn it's not one or the other. It's not a realm of totalism and absolutes. Plenty of us like both. We also are stable enough in thinking to know which is more valuable.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many here will post they collect CMP carbines with FAT marked stocks, Blue SKy marked carbines and RTI marked Ethiopian carbines? Come out of the carbine closet ...and get stoned.

Yes,
I collect FAT marked carbines, and any others that I want.
I have one RTI to represent Ethopian use, an Israeli used carbine, and 4 "Bavarian/Austrian" carbines, a Thai Howa; and somehow even a non-import rework or four sneaked into the rack.

There have been carbine "zealots" since about 1970, they have not died off.
"They" started the carbine club and did the research that resides in the over 300 newsletters. The knowledge that group of guys brought to the table is immense and quite detailed.
"They" will quite likely still be with us in another 50 years. JMHO

Right now I don't have a BLUE SKY carbine, but I will uy one when I find one at the right price/condition and by a mfg or other variant that I want.

Also looking for a Greek return.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:13 PM

Slightly off the subject of carbines: Remember 15+ [approx?] years ago when VN rebuilds were scorned. Yes, those Garands that had a rebuild facility and date on the receiver. Then Bruce Canfield wrote a great monograph in the American Rifleman. The VN Rebuilds took on a life of their own and many [most?] Garand collectors would love to have one from each facility, "as-is" from that location. I have 10 beautiful examples and regret not buying more when we were able to work rifles. Here's Bruce's article:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...rand-rebuilds/

*When imports were restricted to Police Only Sales-I saw hundreds of excellent carbines and ALL that I handled were rebuilds-with the probable exception of a few very late carbines. Everything I handled were from Guatemala.
**I called the Garands "VN Rebuilds" and expect some flak since the rebuild program was not specific for that period or for MAP/FMAP VN. Rifles were simply rebuilt and shipped or stored.

Last edited by BobJ50; 07-28-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:52 PM

The Garand rebuild collecting is of no interest to me. The rebuild Carbines don't trouble me but it's not because I seek them for what they represent. Right or wrong, that's just what I do with my money.