Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2017, 08:32 AM

I saw this quite a bit late, but wanted to bring up something on the M25 scope. I believe your first photo of the issued rifle is of one of the old Tasco Super Sniper 10X42mm scopes that the Navy had a contract for (Navy Contract #N00164-93-C-205). SWFA picked up the SS line after Tasco went under, and I believe they still had an NSN issued from their contract with the Navy. The B&L 10X40mm was submitted for the same contract, explaining the similar appearance, but not selected. The Navy bought a number of the Tasco/SWFA SS scopes for various rifles. I never saw one overseas, but saw a few Stateside.

http://www.snipercentral.com/swfa-ss...l-rifle-scope/

On another note, if you need a guy in NoVA for anodizing your Lyman mounts, I'd be glad to put you in touch with a guy in Woodbridge that would probably take it on.

Last edited by rm97; 05-26-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I believe your first photo of the issued rifle is of one of the old Tasco Super Sniper 10X42mm scopes
Well, the turrets are rather different b/t the SWFA and B&L scopes. The first photo I posted, dated 1992 I think, is attributed to Mitch Mateiko, owner of BPT. Here's the same picture in a 1996 book that refers to the scope as the B&L 10x.

Here's a review of the old B&L 10x Tactical scope: http://www.snipercentral.com/baush-lomb-10x-tactical/

Quote:
This (B&L 10x Tactical) scope was designed and marketed to the military and they found their way on top of most of the XM25 rifles built for the SF groups and Navy SEALs.
FWIW, when the Navy retired the M25s and for the Knight's Armament SR-25 and started using the Leupold 10X Mk 4 scopes, they apparently re-mounted many of the old B&L 10x scopes on the Navy M91A2 sniper rifles. (Remington 700 in 300 Winchester Magnum, McMillan A5 stock, etc). The M91A2 rifles were used by Navy Seal snipers in the 2000s. Here's one Navy training pic where you can see the B&L scope.

...anyhow, you can see from the links and these pics that the B&L has the rather "fat" turrets that Bushnell also started using once they acquired the B&L scope business back in the early 2000s?. The SWFA turret is a different design, and I did not know that some might have been acquired by the Navy.

Quote:
On another note, if you need a guy in NoVA for anodizing your Lyman mounts, I'd be glad to put you in touch with a guy in Woodbridge that would probably take it on.
Thanks, that would be awesome, as anodizing the old Unertl mounts is the final piece yet done for my M70 Carlos Hathcock tribute rifle. Please reach me at: infosec_pro 'at' yahoo.com if you know someone who do a small batch of Type II anodizing.

Last edited by Random Guy; 05-26-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:45 AM

Like I said, I never saw one of the B&Ls on a Navy sniper rifle, but did see the Tascos for a few years. The Super Sniper was awarded the original contract, but there could have been later changes, because the photo of the M91 looks a lot more like the later B&L/Bushnell than the Tasco. The original, Tasco SS looked a little different than the current, SWFA SS, too.

I'll reach out to my buddy to see if he would take on a one-off anodizing project like yours. I'll get back in touch by PM when I hear back.

Thanks for the info and pics.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks, keep me posted the anodizing question.

There are not a lot of pictures of Navy M25 sniper rifles in use, but here's some pics and one detailed drawing of a Navy M25:

Circa spring 1991 picture of a Navy M25 just after Operation Desert Storm:

Reportedly a 2007 picture of a Navy personnel with a Navy M14 sniper rifle...resolution is not great, but it looks like the same B&L scope as seen on the Navy M25s in other pics:

...just some random pics...

Last edited by Random Guy; 05-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.