Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 PM
dallased dallased is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 95
Default CMP specials

Probably a silly question but are the CMP specials really special? Are they something to desire and own? I am thinking hard about one but just can't make up my mine.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2018, 07:37 PM
GM1MAN GM1MAN is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,101
Default

IMHO, You will not be disappointed. I have one in .308 Win. and one in 30.06, both are excellent shooters and well worth the money.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2018, 08:14 PM
tyler9274 tyler9274 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 95
Default

Special is on the left. I refinished the stock. Amazing shooter and good to go out of the box! My RM1Special is my range gun and my service grades are safe queens/ resto projects. IMO buy one! You wont regret it


__________________
Tyler D
SSGT @ USAF Civil Engineering-Power Pro
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Sigpros Sigpros is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Missouri
Posts: 150
Default

I bought a field grade special because I wanted a M1 to shoot and figured a new barrel and stock had to be a plus.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Smf834 Smf834 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 910
Default

Specials are a grade created by cmp. Reparked receiver, almost always new internal parts, new cmp stock. What not to like?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Shomway Shomway is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,633
Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallased View Post
Probably a silly question but are the CMP specials really special? Are they something to desire and own? I am thinking hard about one but just can't make up my mine.
Depends on what you want?
You would be spending $1050 on a Garand with little if any collector value but will likely be a great shooter.
For that $1050 you could find a really nice Service Grade that will likely retain its value in the future, and might be as good a shooter as a "Special"
I have a Special and love it!
There are a lot of choices out there for the money.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=229260
__________________
31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950

Last edited by Shomway; 05-30-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2018, 10:04 PM
dallased dallased is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 95
Default

I have 3 service grades now. One, a LEAD, that appears to not have been touched since refurb and I have not shot it. Just don't know if I want to wander off into something of a slightly different category or not. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I had been trying to stop buying military stuff but the garand bug knocked me off that wagon last year.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Depends on what you want?
You would be spending $1050 on a Garand with little if any collector value but will likely be a great shooter.
For that $1050 you could find a really nice Service Grade that will likely retain its value in the future, and might be as good a shooter as a "Special"
I have a Special and love it!
There are a lot of choices out there for the money.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=229260
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Shomway Shomway is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,633
Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallased View Post
I have 3 service grades now. One, a LEAD, that appears to not have been touched since refurb and I have not shot it. Just don't know if I want to wander off into something of a slightly different category or not. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I had been trying to stop buying military stuff but the garand bug knocked me off that wagon last year.
Welcome to the club...
__________________
31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Woodsman Woodsman is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 128
Default

It certainly depends on your preference and reason for owning one, but I doubt the Specials will ever depreciate. I look at it like you're getting a brand new arsenal refurb with the best materials that are currently available.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-31-2018, 06:24 PM
steelap steelap is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North AL
Posts: 5,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9274 View Post
Special is on the left. I refinished the stock. Amazing shooter and good to go out of the box! My RM1Special is my range gun and my service grades are safe queens/ resto projects. IMO buy one! You wont regret it.
You did not have to “tune” the stock?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.