Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2017, 11:01 AM

Default collectible vs correct

Would a unissued M1GARAND, 5 mil s/n, (April 1955?) collectible grade, bought from CMP, also be considered a correct grade? Rifle came with data sheet in buttstock. Numbers on parts: trigger, barrel, Op Rod, bolt, receiver, they all start with first same 3 digits and letter "F". "F6528...SA" etc.

Last edited by 1deborah; 05-07-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: too long
Old 05-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Collector Grade is the top grade and then Correct Grade, so Collector Grade must be also a Correct Grade.
Not sure if you know, but CMP has been recently selling Collector Grade's in their stores for $2,000. I agree that they will be increasing in value.
Edit: Do you have documentation that the rifle is "unissued" or is this your opinion?

Last edited by Shomway; 05-06-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 AM

3K seems like way to much to me. I just sold a collector grade HRA that I got from CMP at thier Reno convention several years ago. The rifle appeared unfired and aside from a few minor dings in the stock looked brand new. I never fired it and it looked exactly the same as when I got it. Tried $1800 and finally settled for $1500 which was only about $500 more than I paid for it.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:57 PM

As stated $3000 for a Post War Collector Grade is not in selling price range. I receintlty bought a papered HRA 5.7 Collector Grade for $1800 delivered/Insured. If rifle is all correct as manufactured but you don't have Collector Grade documentation you will be closer to the $1000-$1200 range on Gunbroker etc
Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 PM

Default collector vs. correct

CMP sold out of their correct rifles for (3K) each at OKC Games this past April. I follow gunbroker pretty closely, and if collector/correct grades are sold for $1000.00-$1200.00 each. Wow! Thanks for information concerning "collector vs. correct". The "M1 GARAND Owner's Guide", is a handy tool for research, but information is limited concerning "correct" dates and drawing numbers. I haven't made any opinions concerning "grade or whether "issued or not", just going by the paperwork I received along with rifle. Opinions don't usually mean anything, only what the person is willing to pay and what item is worth to a buyer. I'm no pressure to sell the M1 so I'm fine hanging onto the rifle, just need to get all the "warehouse grease" removed

Last edited by 1deborah; 05-06-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Well you said "unissued" and was curious if you had paperwork that stated that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1deborah View Post
Would a unissued M1GARAND, 5 mil s/n, (April 1955?) collectible grade, bought from CMP, also be considered a correct grade? Rifle came with data sheet in buttstock. Numbers on parts: trigger, barrel, Op Rod, bolt, receiver, they all have "F6528...SA" etc.
I'm considering selling the rifle and 3K seems to be a good starting point. I know how much a certified rifle cost and they are expensive, but go up in value each year I've been following them.
If you have CMP documentation for an unissued M1 then yes, $3K would be a good starting point.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I follow gunbroker pretty closely, and if collector/correct grades are sold for $1000.00-$1200.00 each. Wow! Thanks
There is a big difference in price in a "corrected garand" and a CMP Correct Grade. A papertrail makes the difference

You need to find out what it is you have , a corrected rifle or a papered Correct Grade or Collector Grade
If you don't have paperwork it might be worth it for you to have CMP do a serial search. They will do this for a $25 fee
Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Paul

List it for what you want. Market will tell you what it is worth.

Lots of pictures.

It will sell, but be ready to lower the price.

Good luck.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
CMP sold out of their correct rifles for (3K) each at OKC Games this past April.
The $3000 cmp correct grades are WWII era. Yours is a 5 mil (post war). HUGE difference
Old 05-06-2017, 05:22 PM

If people's homebulits in Dupage stocks are selling for 1400-1500 on this forum, $1200 would be a bit low for a CMP rifle with the documents for a higher grade.