Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 PM

Default Harvester Garand Book

What ever became of the IHC collectors book?
Sparx
Old 10-31-2017, 08:18 PM

No new update as of this April post:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...55&postcount=8
Old 10-31-2017, 08:26 PM

Just yesterday IHC55 chimed in on a thread about IHC/SA/HRA buttplates with some very good information.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:29 PM

I hope it comes to light. I’ve been excited for it like many others for a long time.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 PM

Its just over the Horizon...

Old 10-31-2017, 11:29 PM

I figure, he will produce it just before he crooks, so as not to have to deal with any reviews. It will be a great piece, but, ahh... I need to shutup.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeff View Post
Just yesterday IHC55 chimed in on a thread about IHC/SA/HRA buttplates with some very good information.
Yep. He had me checking all my buttplates yesterday evening.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Buttplates?

TheJoker, can you please post a link to the thread on the plates?
THANKS
Sean
Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG1 View Post
TheJoker, can you please post a link to the thread on the plates?
THANKS
Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihcfan55 View Post
One thing that "muddies" the water on buttplates, and many other unmarked parts in 1955 is the parts swapping that went on in this timeframe. The M1 contract was winding down in 1955, and the DOD asked the prime contractors in February 1955 to submit plans whereby the rifle-making machinery was to be "laid-away," or mothballed, in a secure location. The DOD wanted to be able to reconstitute the rifle production facilities in a short six-month period of time, if necessary.

But, why is this mothball program important to M1 rifle buttplates found in 1955? Because the M1 rifle program was drawing down, and the DOD decided to "level out" the production parts between the three prime contractors; this was done so that the prime contractors would not have excess parts if (for some reason) the contracts were terminated by the DOD.

There was also a clause in the M1 contract that called for the prime contractor to have "no more than 6-months-worth inventory of parts available, based on the monthly rifle quotas." The DOD had cut rifle quotas in mid-1955, to "stretch out production," and that caused these three prime contractors to have more parts in inventory than they were authorized to carry; this probably caused some of the parts re-distribution.

Therefore, the M1 collector finds many parts interchanged between the three prime contractors: SA barrels on IHC rifles, IHC DRC windage knobs on SA rifles, HRA-style stocks on IHC rifles, SA-style gas cylinders on IHC rifles, and the list goes on. There is the high probability that smaller, unmarked parts were also exchanged. I personally believe that some IHC stock ferrule screws and buttplate screws went from IHC to SA, particularly after the IHC closure.

I also believe that buttplates were exchanged, too, so some KMT buttplates may have been shipped to SA for use. Again, the whole idea was to level inventory between the three prime contractors. We know that SA used multiple vendors in their postwar production, so there is the possibility that SA found that KMT buttplates were cheaper that other vendors, due to KMT's economies of scale, and placed an order for some KMT plates. We even know that SA had a 50/50 mix of flat plungers and round plungers in postwar use, so there were multiple vendors involved in plunger production.

I wish there were a "cut and dry" buttplate design for each prime contractor, but the waters are pretty muddied, and the collector is advised to use fit and finish to decide if a particular plate is correct for his stock.

Here is a definite IHC plate: Note the "border" feature of the plate, and the curved indent of the plate at the finger grasping area.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....73#post1651073