Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Paint Removal W/out Removing Stock Finish

What can I use to remove paint w/out removing any of the stock finish? This stock doesn't appear to have been sanded or refinished but has been bumped around and small amounts of what appears to be white paint has been left inside the very minor dings.
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 PM

I have a stock with just that same thing I am restoring, was not visible until I did light clean, even after they are hard to see unless wet. I fill the dents with water, wait a few minutes, maybe 10, and a q-tip wipes it right out, sometimes a toothpic is needed for deeper spots. ones that are shallow I lay a piece of wet paper towel over. I thought at first it was rack stamp paint, but water would not loosen that, so whatever it is its still a mystery to me, but it does come out.

Last edited by Joturkey; 12-05-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 AM

Or try WD40.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 PM

Larry do you know what that stuff is?, color looks like off white rack stamp paint, but it is not, comes off easy enough but its like someone wiped the whole stock with it and it only stayed in the dents and scratches.

Last edited by Joturkey; 12-06-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
Larry do you know what that stuff is?, color looks like off white rack stamp paint, but it is not, comes off easy enough but its like someone wiped the whole stock with it and it only stayed in the dents and scratches.
Maybe Greek makeup that gets on their hands when they put it on before donning those funny dress uniforms. Makeup wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've also seen the stocks on parade rifles painted white. I bought an original scabbard for my 1917 Eddystone bayonet that was painted with flaking white paint that mostly rubbed off on my hands. Like your stock, getting it out of the crevices and flaws was quite a chore. I used WD40 successfully on most of it fearing using any sort of paint remover.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 PM

This stuff isn't coming out. I have delicately tried WD40, Hoppe's, brush cleaner, 0000 steel wool.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:32 AM

Lightbulb

Then about the only choice you have is a good old fashioned paint removal/stripping product for wood furniture. It won't hurt the wood but will probably strip the original finish.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltgrabber View Post
What can I use to remove paint w/out removing any of the stock finish? This stock doesn't appear to have been sanded or refinished but has been bumped around and small amounts of what appears to be white paint has been left inside the very minor dings.

What about steaming the dings and dents? Possible that raising the wood could help loosen the paint.
Vic
Old 12-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Thought about steaming the wood but in my experience it also requires some smoothing out using steel wool or sandpaper.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Did one a few years ago.Used wax paper with a iron to just soften the paint.Then used a plastic knife to clean the paint off.It took a few times but the paint came off.After cleaning the stock you could still see the numbers due to the paint,protecting the stock for years. It seems to fad a little each time I treat the stock/