Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2017, 01:00 PM

Default 1945 sa

Well just received my 1945 SA service grade and now have a dilemma. My son and shooting partner has had a tough year, going through a divorce and a lot of hassles at his job so with his birthday and Christmas coming up the wife and I thought we'd surprise him with a Garand, since he's really been admiring mine. He got me back into shooting a couple of years ago so I figured I owed him.
Anyways, this SA is nice and relatively correct from what I can see so far. March of 1945 receiver with a 3-45 barrel with an ME of 1+ and TE of 2. Correct unmodified -9 straight side op-rod and -19 SA bolt. Other than an IHC hammer, the trigger group is all SA with a -12 housing,(probably a little too early.) But the icing on the cake is the very nice SA stock with great SA GAW and crossed cannon cartouches, plus a small crossed cannons on the pistol grip. The lower band has a staked solid pin and it looks like it's been there a long time also.
It would be an easy rifle to get somewhat correct from what I see, and wouldn't break the bank.

My other two Garands are postwar and I kinda wanted a WW2 rifle. I may just end up giving him the HRA I recently acquired and have been correcting through the help of some fine forum members. And no, ordering another one is not in the cards right now. Does that sound cheesy?
And yes I'll get pics up soon.

Bob
Old 10-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Bob

Your 45 garand sounds nice, and you might want to keep it.

As for the son, you might want to let him know that you have a nice HRA for him, but it might be best to hold off with the situation you mentioned.

He might need to sell it for the money.

If it was me, I would tell him he could have the HRA after accomplishing X, Y, Z.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 10-19-2017, 02:45 PM

You may be right. Maybe I'll tell him I can keep it in my safe till the dust settles. And here's some bad pics,
https://imgur.com/a/cdIku

Bob
Old 10-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Well, I see a SA-19 bolt. Correct for Mar 45.

Also I think I see a LEAD stamp on the bottom of the grip. Does it have any etching on the legs of the receiver, like LEAD with a date???

Also just looked and the bolt heat lot A-8 is listed as March 1945.

Good score on this entire rifle.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241

Last edited by Big_Red; 10-20-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts that should've been edited
Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 PM

For God's sake, keep the 45!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 AM

Ditto to TSimmonetti.

And I would NOT change anything on that rifle. Looks to me like it maybe semi-original meaning most of the rifle looks like it belongs together.

Good chance its an LEAD too from appearances and stock.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:40 AM

Great looking rifle! To me, the marking on the grip appears to be a rack number painted on in a reddish orange color.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 AM

Thanks guys. I’ve decided he’s getting the HRA. The more I look this rifle over, the only thing that doesn’t look original is the trigger group and I believe it should have type 3 lock bar sights. All the receiver, barrel, and gas system parts look right.
That is what’s left of an orange rack number on the pistol grip, no rebuild marks on anything. The stock is very dirty and extremely dry. I’d like to do a very gentle cleaning and perhaps a little RLO.

Bob

Last edited by spalding; 10-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding View Post
Well just received my 1945 SA service grade and now have a dilemma. My son and shooting partner has had a tough year, going through a divorce and a lot of hassles at his job so with his birthday and Christmas coming up the wife and I thought we'd surprise him with a Garand, since he's really been admiring mine. He got me back into shooting a couple of years ago so I figured I owed him.
Anyways, this SA is nice and relatively correct from what I can see so far. March of 1945 receiver with a 3-45 barrel with an ME of 1+ and TE of 2. Correct unmodified -9 straight side op-rod and -19 SA bolt. Other than an IHC hammer, the trigger group is all SA with a -12 housing,(probably a little too early.) But the icing on the cake is the very nice SA stock with great SA GAW and crossed cannon cartouches, plus a small crossed cannons on the pistol grip. The lower band has a staked solid pin and it looks like it's been there a long time also.
It would be an easy rifle to get somewhat correct from what I see, and wouldn't break the bank.

My other two Garands are postwar and I kinda wanted a WW2 rifle. I may just end up giving him the HRA I recently acquired and have been correcting through the help of some fine forum members. And no, ordering another one is not in the cards right now. Does that sound cheesy?
And yes I'll get pics up soon.

Bob
Sounds like a nice rifle. I would keep that one for myself if it were me. If you want to trade the IHC hammer for a springfield model let me know. I have a IHC with the only incorrect part being a springfield hammer. Oh and my stock is not IHC
CMP customer since 2017
Old 10-31-2017, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to ROC Send a message via MSN to ROC Send a message via Yahoo to ROC

I think if this rifle were a LEAD, you would see the receiver etc reparked. It looks original finish to me. I'd keep it too. Your sight should be easy to pick up.