Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Default M1 Conversion to Sniper Rifle

I am thinking about buying another Garand and making a sniper rifle from it.
First, I am not making it back to specifications. I only want something for my collection. I only have questions.

I found a scope mount online that really is for those who want a hunting rifle.

My question is, is there any gun smith work involved in getting the barrel ready for a flash suppressor?

The rest, the butt stock pad, etc i can handle myself.

If you are interested here is a picture of the scope mount. If does offset to the left, I would be a scope similar to the M84.

If at some point I would find the revenue I would buy an actual sniper model and donate it to some Garand organization after my demise. I have had some close calls over the last few years and that has been on my mind. GCC
Old 12-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Nothing special for the flash suppressor as long as you are referring to the two USGI designs.

As for the scope mount, really all you’re doing with that mount is sporterizing the rifle to work for what you want to use it for. My guess with that design is you’ll have some loading and ejection issues, but that’s only my guess and I’m still taking into consideration that it is offset a little.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Default Garand Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Nothing special for the flash suppressor as long as you are referring to the two USGI designs.

As for the scope mount, really all youíre doing with that mount is sporterizing the rifle to work for what you want to use it for. My guess with that design is youíll have some loading and ejection issues, but thatís only my guess and Iím still taking into consideration that it is offset a little.
Yes, you are right it is offset to compensate for the ejection of shells and clip. The reviews were good although there were few. Not everyone owns a Garand. I know hard to believe.

Really, this is a project I want to do as I have had some accidents and don't see myself getting into competitions any time soon unfortunately. As I rehab I want to keep busy and working on my marksmanship skills and in between do something else. Thank you for your time. GCC
Old 12-08-2018, 04:43 PM

There is also a "scout mount" out there that replaces the rear handguard.
Fulton Armory has this one: Handguard, Rear, Scout Rail, Gen III, M1 Garand Part #: FA-G-058. FYI
Old 12-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Exclamation

With that mount you are not really converting to a "sniper rifle". You are simply sporterizing the sighting system. Even if you wanted to compete, that scope mount would not be allowed in competition. Note that there are also commercial flash suppressors/muzzle brakes that are attached in place of the stock gas cylinder lock like a T37 attaches. A Hart type suppressor is a slip on design. No barrel mods are necessary. The commercials also would not be legal for competition. As far as USGI flash suppressors the T37 rings like a tuning fork on every shot and the Hart is prohibitively heavy. For commercial Smith Enterprises and Schuster make them. To be very honest they really don't do much for you except to make the muzzle blast exceptionally loud and pi$$ off everyone around you.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:05 PM

I build a M1-E 15 years ago.... I did a total Rebuild on a Late SA , everything new NOS, sent out the trigger assy for work, Fancy Thick Walnut stock form Wergers?????? spelling ... company now gone, CMP Scout Hand-guard, Leopold 2 by 7 Long eye relief, M1C flash hider, Turner sling. Its dead accurate to 300 yds which is the range max...