Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Default Need help with Mossberg bolt!

I have a Wards Western Field 46D (Mossberg 42C) when I pull the bolt back to chamber a round it will sometimes come out as if I were taking the bolt out to clean it. I am not pulling back on the bolt hard. The trigger resets fine, so I believe the sear on the bottom of the firing pin is wore out as it has a rounded edge to. So, I ordered a firing pin from Havlin this evening. Can someone tell me how to take the firing pin out or send me to a good website.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Grab hold of the knob and rear section of the bolt and twist it to uncock it then just unscrew the rear section and the KNOB and firing pin will come out at the same time. Good luck
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM

You may have to twist the handle/knob a little to get iT over the firing pin
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM

We're talking about the mainspring cap here and with a great number of Mossbergs it will prove stubborn to remove. Over time old oil, grease and powder fouling becomes an extremely effective glue. If this is the case, soak it down in solvent and heat to the not quite hot enough to burn you point. Be care with pliers or other tools as the mainspring cap is soft steel and very easy to mar. Protect it with leather or card stock and it should unscrew with modest effort.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys! Seems very similar to taking apart a 1903 bolt. So, I will need to make sure the bolt not in the cocked ready to fire position? There should not be any parts flying everywhere as long as the bolt is un-cocked, right?

Last edited by wstanley; 09-17-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanley View Post
thanks guys! Seems very similar to taking apart a 1903 bolt. So, i will need to make sure the bolt not in the cocked ready to fire position? There should not be any parts flying everywhere as long as the bolt is in-cocked, right?
well, the mainspring cap you unscrew will be under some tension but you should be able to control it with your hand but to be sure take it apart inside of a plastic bag to contain the parts if they fly out.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOTGUN View Post
well, the mainspring cap you unscrew will be under some tension but you should be able to control it with your hand but to be sure take it apart inside of a plastic bag to contain the parts if they fly out.
Thanks for the good advice. I don't like chasing tiny springs around!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Default Sear

Your issue may not be with the sear end of the FP--on the front of the FP there is a large extension that stops the bolt from coming out. I doubt that this is worn, however it may have been removed. Go to Havlins web page and look at the second FP on the left--at the pin end you will see the extension pointing down, this is what stops the bolt from being removed from the action until the trigger is pulled. You might want to look at the trigger guard--sometimes the shrinkage makes them interfer with the trigger.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshot223 View Post
Your issue may not be with the sear end of the FP--on the front of the FP there is a large extension that stops the bolt from coming out. I doubt that this is worn, however it may have been removed. Go to Havlins web page and look at the second FP on the left--at the pin end you will see the extension pointing down, this is what stops the bolt from being removed from the action until the trigger is pulled. You might want to look at the trigger guard--sometimes the shrinkage makes them interfer with the trigger.
I will take a look. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Default Sear

Another thought, the front of the trigger may have been removed or rounded allowing the bolt to slide past.http://home.epix.net/~damguy/ This web site might help look at the 44US MIL dis-assembly--shows the trigger, I think is the same as yours!