Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Default "Made For The M1 Garand" Ammo

Has anyone checked out any of the commercially available ammo that says it is "Made For The M1 Garand" (e.g. Prvi Parizan)? Is it really mil spec and safe for use in the M1 Garand?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Yep

yes...
Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Many thanks. Do they have anything other than FMJ?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:56 AM

PPU works great in my M1 and 03A3.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:26 AM

Hornady had some A-Max 168gr for the Garand, but I haven't seen it lately.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:22 PM

How about the flip side? In other words, if you buy 500 rounds of this stuff (or other mil-spec ammo) to shoot in your Garand, is it safe to shoot in a regular, hunting bolt gun on occasion, for e.g., a 30-06 Remington 700?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
How about the flip side? In other words, if you buy 500 rounds of this stuff (or other mil-spec ammo) to shoot in your Garand, is it safe to shoot in a regular, hunting bolt gun on occasion, for e.g., a 30-06 Remington 700?
If it is modern commercial 30.06 ammo then it is safe for any modern, safe 30.06 rifle except the M1 Garand.
If it says "safe for/made for M1 Garand" then it is ALSO safe for Garands, as well as any other modern bolt action in good condition.

Safe meaning "all occasions".

Modern commercial ammo is safe for modern safe guns; the M1 Garand is an exception (that some dispute) because it was designed for powders in a certain burn rate range.
If walmart or CMP or Wideners sells it (new, good condition....), it is safe for 1903, 1917, CZ550, Rem 700, etc.
JH
Old 11-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Modern commercial ammo is safe for modern safe guns; the M1 Garand is an exception (that some dispute) because it was designed for powders in a certain burn rate range.
There has been lots of testing (formal and informal) of commercial hunting ammunition in M1s. There is no evidence that any standard commercial 150-grain ammunition will harm an M1. I think I would stay away from high performance or "light magnum" ammunition, especially with heavier bullets. Bullet weight is not an issue, but very stiff loads with heavy bullets will be loaded with very slow burning powders, producing higher port pressures.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me an M1 that has been damaged by shooting commercial ammunition.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 PM

Default M1 ammo

Probably the best ammo going for M1&03 competition is from Creedmoor Sports.
It features Lapua brass and bullets.Worked pretty well for Dennis DeMille at Western Games.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
There has been lots of testing (formal and informal) of commercial hunting ammunition in M1s. There is no evidence that any standard commercial 150-grain ammunition will harm an M1. I think I would stay away from high performance or "light magnum" ammunition, especially with heavier bullets. Bullet weight is not an issue, but very stiff loads with heavy bullets will be loaded with very slow burning powders, producing higher port pressures.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me an M1 that has been damaged by shooting commercial ammunition.
Despite all of the doomsday chatter about "modern commercial ammo" it is interesting to note that the current muzzle velocity specs for 150 gr. 30-'06 ammo listed on manufacturers' websites is actually LESS than what was published by the same manufacturers in the 1950's.

"Modern" does not always mean hotter and faster.

Sure, stay away from the Hornaday "Lite Magnum" loadings (its printed on the box if you can't remember) and it is ulikely you will have a problem.