Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2014, 09:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Garand44
Default CMP Brass

Just received shipment of M2 Ball ammo from CMP. After reading different posts about hand loaders saying not to overcharge hand loads, I pulled bullet and weighed powder in one cartridge. It had 53.4 gr of powder. Most loaders I've read about seem to use 50 gr or less. Maybe this is a different kind of powder. Any comments?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:13 PM

There is no way to know what powder they used or how potent that batch was. If Im not mistaken they chronographed the ammo for each batch or lot produced and loaded it to get it up to speed. So from lot to lot the powder weight might differ. This said I have pulled bullets from mil spec ammo from the same lot that varied as much as 8 grs for 200 rounds. Hope this confuses you as much as it did me.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 AM

Likely WCC-852 ball powder. Some lots were slow, resulting in pretty high charge weights. Good enough for Lake City and presumably HXP ball. Fire away.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 PM

To get a definite answer you'd do well to chronograph the ammo. I used to use "book" numbers and my garand loads came out real slow when I checked. No big deal at 100 yds, but at 1000 yds there is a diff. An embarrassing difference when your rounds end up in the berm. Asked the guys at Sierra about the problem and they suggested the chronograph and suspected that maybe the garand had a generous chamber. Had to stuff a lot of powder in there to get up to speed.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:50 PM

Higher throat erosion will result in lower velocities. The test barrels of course would probably have less free bore and throat erosion. Also, the test barrels could well be longer than an M1 barrel.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Garand44

thanks for your reply. I was just courius about the level of powder in the case
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand44 View Post
thanks for your reply. I was just courius about the level of powder in the case
What another handloader tells you that they use as a max charge is irrelevant if you don't know the powder type. There are what, dozens of suitable powders (commercially) for 30.06 (.308, .556, whatever), and who know how many military brews.
Military ammo is made by lot numbers, and varies by manufacturer and year, and of course by lot.
Some buyers of military (surplus) ammo pull bullets and weigh a sample to determine an average amount of powder, then re-load that powder, accurately measured, with either the same bullets or "better" bullets, and have pretty good results in terms of accuracy. It's a good way to get more accuracy from the first shooting, but most just shoot them as-is, and reload for accuracy on the next loadings.
Otherwise, I would not put too much thought into it, shoot it, and reload or sell/trade.......
JH
Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ljagdtiger
Default Charges of powder

The lc arsenal does not use cannister powder. Each lot of powder is tested to see what the correct powder charge will be. So it can vary the charge to differences in powder.. All very carefully controlled lab work...
Old 11-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Don't over think this. If the CMP supplied it and the arsenal made it, the ammo is fine to shoot.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Shoot the CMP stuff for fun. Then you can reuse the cases for whatever purpose you want the new reloads to be used for.