Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2022, 06:29 PM

Default Boots

After the last 5 days at Camp Perry, my traditional leather Carolina logger boots left me with hot and tired feet, making me feel every day of my 70 years old.

I'm open for recommendations for a light weight, waterproof supportive alternative to my "old school" leather boots. Something that won't break the bank would be good. I wear a 12 wide. Thanks, Ken
Old 08-09-2022, 06:34 PM

I have worn New Balance boots for many years. I have tried other brands but keep coming back to New Balance. Opt for the model with the “roll bar” feature.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:01 PM

I wear 4E and New Balance has several boots in the $100-150 that are awesome. I’ve worn them for years and would recommend highly!!
Old 08-09-2022, 09:22 PM

I’m not familiar with the New Balance, I am with the Carolina’s, while good, I choose Timberline Pro’s. Light weight, supportive, durable, I’m on my third pair with zero complaints, hiking, hunting, firewood cutting, or wearing around the house. My 3 year old beater pair still does not leak, I wear these year round on my arthritic feet with a toe implant, I know foot pain, these are the best that I have owned. Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:22 PM

I have been very happy with Merrill’s
Do come in wide with easy to find at lots of storeS.
Mine last 4-5 per pair
Old 08-09-2022, 10:58 PM

Solomon are my go to shoes / boots.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:26 AM

Danner Mountain 600's. "Modern" glued construction, VERY light-weight, reasonably supportive, Goretex liner for waterproofing, excellent traction. I picked up a pair several years ago and have been quite pleasantly surprised with how well they've functioned and held up to my abuse. And bear in mind that I'm NOT a fan of Goretex and still prefer (and regularly wear) traditional stitchdown-construction leather workboots. I'm also REALLY hard on footwear (240lbs+). Nominally size 13, sometimes regular sometimes wide, and the Danner 13D works well for me (ditto for my summer shooting boots, which are Danner's Reckoning model... no Goretex... yay!).

https://www.danner.com/mountain-600-4-5-brown-red.html
Old 08-10-2022, 04:40 AM

I'm in the same "boat", so to speak. On my feet for 42 years. Been there, done that, with boots. The old style Red Wings, made in the USA were the best. Used to last me many years. They're extinct now. Bought a pair of Viktos boots about 6 months ago. Composite material, very light in weight, very well made. Mid priced boot. Very happy with them. Don't, repeat, don't buy Underarmour boots. Mine fell apart in about 6 months. Very poor quality.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:57 AM

Lowa Boots.

Out of box comfortable, very very high quality and your feet will thank you.

Everyone's feet are different and many have tough robust feet.. I do not . I am a 30 year career Infantry SF soldier and I lived on my feet and suffered with issue and other boot "solutions". Once I forked out 150 bucks for Lowa boots and experienced them, I no longer suffered. How long do they last...well, once retired, 6 to 8 years of constant use but in Afghanistan, 3 years in that hell hole.

The time to strike is around January when Sierra Trading post sells them at real discounts as does Campmore.

I wear Lowa low hiking shoes and Lowa mid hiking boots every day now and how I wish I could have had Lowa boots all my military career !
Old 08-10-2022, 12:18 PM

I wanted a pair of the Red Wing Irish Setters like I wore for shooting and hunting in
the 1950 to 1960 period. I went to a Red Wing store and found they still had that boot but at a price of $300.00 plus. Bought them anyway and am happy with them. I just looked in these boots and the label shows they were made in the USA, that wood have been a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Herschel; 08-11-2022 at 01:31 PM.