Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 PM

You'll pick up on what topics are best left alone on these forums.

Field grades can vary widely and it's generally recommended to avoid mail ordering a field grade by mail order, especially if its your first rifle. Best to hand pick field grades at store to get what you want. You can request anything you want via sticky note on your order form but there's no guarantee they will honor it. Look at latest store reports for availability of any particular rifle as this changes frequently. When you download/print the order form you'll see yes it does need to be notarized.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Adding to my post above, check out what Garand Guru Gus Fisher says about the different grades of rifles from the CMP:

http://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/13931...1-garands.html

He recommends a service grade for your first rifle even if you have to wait.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryan1203 View Post
Adding to my post above, check out what Garand Guru Gus Fisher says about the different grades of rifles from the CMP:

http://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/13931...1-garands.html

He recommends a service grade for your first rifle even if you have to wait.
Think SG is the best compromise of price versus quality...for 100 bucks more...but for bottom dollar, very tight budget, "just-want-a-Garand" FGs work OK - can be used casually now and upgraded later. My brief experience, this year, with 4 SAFG has been good...MW/TE 2-4 max, nice condition metal, almost all SA, all 4 WW2 SN, one matching BR '43. Wood all intact USGI dinged, Also appear very upgradeable and all parts usable. With new stock set, each would look identical to the 4 Dupages I've bought.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 AM

PS - Dupage is a good shortcut to an SG equivalent, IMHO...if available.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 AM

PSS: If I lived close to the North store, I'd be there very frequently sorting thru available FGs! Dang!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 AM

PSSS: BTW, all my purchases were by mail....don't be afraid but have realistic expectations....remember CMP guarantees functional rifles.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryan1203 View Post
You'll pick up on what topics are best left alone on these forums.

Field grades can vary widely and it's generally recommended to avoid mail ordering a field grade by mail order, especially if its your first rifle. Best to hand pick field grades at store to get what you want. You can request anything you want via sticky note on your order form but there's no guarantee they will honor it. Look at latest store reports for availability of any particular rifle as this changes frequently. When you download/print the order form you'll see yes it does need to be notarized.

Makes sense, and pretty much what I figured. It's just tempting at that price for a field grade plus I like the idea of using a c.c. because it doesn't charge til the rifle ships. Buys me time.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmaize View Post
PSSS: BTW, all my purchases were by mail....don't be afraid but have realistic expectations....remember CMP guarantees functional rifles.
Thanks.
p.s. thanks.
p.s.s. thanks.
p.s.s.s. thanks.

Really, thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmaize View Post
Think SG is the best compromise of price versus quality...for 100 bucks more...but for bottom dollar, very tight budget, "just-want-a-Garand" FGs work OK - can be used casually now and upgraded later. My brief experience, this year, with 4 SAFG has been good...MW/TE 2-4 max, nice condition metal, almost all SA, all 4 WW2 SN, one matching BR '43. Wood all intact USGI dinged, Also appear very upgradeable and all parts usable. With new stock set, each would look identical to the 4 Dupages I've bought.
Do you fire those field grades? Do they shoot well?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 x 5 View Post
Do you fire those field grades? Do they shoot well?
I'm an amateur and all I know is they (my 4) are functional and well within Army specs on barrels...there is wear on some of the parts, but guess CMP warrants functionality when shipped and initial use....not continued later use...op springs show most obvious wear...

i.e. they are like in-use combat rifles...been thru arsenal/CMP rebuilds...but have the "look"....not pretty/new if that's what you want...I shot each one once!