Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2020, 04:07 PM

Default Cleaning up a web sling

Iím looks for suggestions on how I could clean up a 1944 dated web sling. Iím headed by the South Store this Saturday and was remembering the good old days when you didnít have to purchase a rifle in order to buys a sling or two. I could never leave that place without giving them some of my money. Anyway, I pulled out my bag of slings and realized I havenít unrolled four of them. All of them were dated!!!! All 1944. The dates are legible but I donít want to wash them off. Iíd love any advice for cleaning them up. Or do I just leave them dusty and dirty.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:42 PM
GSM Master Instructor

I have had good results on the store slings. I gently washed them in a bucket of Woolite and lukewarm water, rinsed in a separate bucket with running water and hung them up to dry with a clothespin to dry. Hope this helps.
Mike B
Old 03-05-2020, 05:16 PM

I’ve used the Woolite treatment mentioned above...and that works well. However, it doesn’t return it to a new state. It looks like a dirty old sling that someone tried to clean. It does remove some of the musty smell if you’re looking to get rid of some of that. I personally think leaving them alone is the best option.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:24 PM

Default Cleaning canvas slings

I have cleaned lots of slings while putting a sling collection together. I put them in a cold short wash with just a little detergent. After washed lay in sun on sidewalk/drive way flat to dry. Never lost a stamp, just make sure you have no loose webbing which can be damaged in the spin cycle... good luck.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:54 PM

Just brush them with a good nylon brush and blow them off with compressed air. Whatever stays adds character.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:11 PM

Thank you all. Looks like I might have a new science fair project for my children to participate in.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:19 PM

If you have any kind of web gear such as a sling that smells bad due to musty storage, or tobacco smoke, put it in a plastic bag with a dryer sheet for a few weeks. Don't let the dryer sheet make direct contact with your item, and do not subject the closed plastic bag to heat or sun light.

The dryer sheet actually seems to absorb the bad smells.

This method also works great on old books which smell musty or smokey.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
I have cleaned lots of slings while putting a sling collection together. I put them in a cold short wash with just a little detergent. After washed lay in sun on sidewalk/drive way flat to dry. Never lost a stamp, just make sure you have no loose webbing which can be damaged in the spin cycle... good luck.

This is exactly how I do it and no issues...
Old 03-06-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHScott View Post
Just brush them with a good nylon brush and blow them off with compressed air. Whatever stays adds character.
+1. In my experience, washing 70 year old web gear, even with mild detergent, will fade the color and remove the "vintage" smell that you want. You may also end up faded the dates so much that they are no longer legible.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:47 PM

If you have a power washer.....

Had great luck with old greasy web slings by first soaking them in a small tub of laundry detergent mixed with water. After an hour or two, remove and put them on your driveway or outside deck or patio and use a power washer on them. Lightly at first, and of course you're stepping on one end, and do both sides.. You wont believe the brown crud that drains off these with some light power washing. Dry them in the sun and they look %100 better.