Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Default Value check on Winchester I-Cut stock

Iíve picked up a Winchester carbine- springtube receiver with I cut stock and good clear WRA GHD cartouches. The rest of the parts are mixed manufacturer. Good condition with a few dings here and there, but no cracks. It is low wood. I was wondering the estimate value to a carbine collector might be. Iíll try to post
Pictures if Ican remember how. Iíd like to list it in the for sale section. Thanks
Old 11-29-2019, 12:47 PM

The fact that it has been cut to low wood is kind of a killer as far as BIG $$ goes . I paid over $ 500.00 for a Winchester High Wood , I cut Stock with a Bull nose Hand Guard years ago from a CC member . No Regrets then or now . I would only guess about $ 150.00 to $ 200.00 to the right guy for a really nice cut down . My Two Cents . Bob
Old 11-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Does it appear to be a cut-down type 1 (high-wood)? Maybe the stock-sperts will be able to confirm some I-cut low-woods left the factory. You may have a rare bird, or a modified type 1.

(My post bumped Bob’s on the way in.)
Old 11-29-2019, 06:59 PM

Havenít had any luck posting the photos. ďMy guy ď that helped me in the past is in Wyoming. Iíll try again tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:58 PM

No such thing as a ‘factory’ low-wood I-cut.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 11-30-2019, 09:13 AM

Collectors wouldn't want it. It's a fill in stock until you find a collector stock. A high wood with no cartouches would be better. Maybe $100 on ebay.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:57 AM

It's true that the cut down high wood removes any serious, high $$ collector value. But that said, early I-cut WRA stocks with legible cartouches are not that common, so it still has moderate value in my opinion. For reference, have one that came on a rifle I purchased that sounds similar, the wood is very dense with nice figure. Real nice shape with no serious dings, scrapes, scratches, cracks, or excessive sanding. Type 1 band marks only. I'm not considering selling it, it's happy where it is, but if I had to value it I'd say $200 range. Decent wood is getting harder to find.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
It's true that the cut down high wood removes any serious, high $$ collector value. But that said, early I-cut WRA stocks with legible cartouches are not that common, so it still has moderate value in my opinion. For reference, have one that came on a rifle I purchased that sounds similar, the wood is very dense with nice figure. Real nice shape with no serious dings, scrapes, scratches, cracks, or excessive sanding. Type 1 band marks only. I'm not considering selling it, it's happy where it is, but if I had to value it I'd say $200 range. Decent wood is getting harder to find.
Having only Type 1 Band marks is a key factor and not to be glossed over.... If it's a cut down high wood I-cut with type 2/3 band marks, then the value would not reach $200 in my opinion unless it was in stellar condition and even then maybe not. I paid $100 recently for an I-cut RMC in that condition.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 12-02-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 AM

I guess it should've been asked if it's a boxed WRA cartouche or the non-boxed variety, whatever the unboxed one is called.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Some of the really early Winchester I cut stocks have a "P" marking on the bottom of the pistol grip.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)