Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Drill Rifle Help

Bought a couple of A3 drill rifles, and would like to know what type of bits people use to remove the weld on the cut off. I have some small grinding stones I've used in my Foredom tool, but they hardly touch the weld.

Also, any special techniques to use in removing the barrel once the tack weld is removed? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:34 AM

I used the carbide bits. You need to keep a good hold on the dremel as the carbide bits will chatter but they are hard enough to remove the weld and do so quickly so take your time so you don't cut up metal you want to save!

I posted details of my worst kit being done here:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=227252

As for the barrel, you will want to relieve the metal in front of the receiver by grinding a relief cut into the barrel BUT be careful you don't grind into the receiver! One of mine had a lot of rust inside the barrel threads and required soaking in penetrating oil plus a 5-ft cheater pipe plus I chilled the barreled receiver in ice water then heated the receiver to get it to come free.

See http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=227118

More on my worst drill rifle:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=226553

Other people like to use the diamond bit dremel tool bits. I found them to work too slow so I went with the carbide.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:35 AM

I did one just last night, and have done 6 over the past several months... Got the whole rifle stripped and barrel off within a half hour (not including the magazine cutoff).

I like the Dremel 1 1/2-Inch EZ Lock cutoff wheels. Cut through the weld and into the barrel just in front of the receiver face. Once it starts to throw sparks you are through. You don't need to cut all the way around the barrel. It does make removal easier, but is definitely not required.

I use a CMP 1903 barrel vise (must use rosin) and a multi-head receiver wrench from Brownells with a 5 foot cheater. At little penetrating oil and heat (from a heat gun) can help.

Last edited by Jakeroub; 05-18-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:17 PM

The sanding drums do nicely on the welds.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:23 AM

I used my Dremel with the EZ lock fiber cut off disks, small fine sanding drum and a smaller diamond bit (the one that is just the diameter of the shank) I tried the carbide but it chattered to much for me(probably my fault) but the diamond worked great. Oh and some small needle files.