Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 AM

When I get my first Garand (a Springfield Service Grade) I think my next purchase will be a field or rack grade to try and get a WW2 serial and GI wood. Then if it's not a WW2 I'll keep it... One day when I have kids maybe I can fix it up and give it to one of them
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
I looked through most of them and didn't find anything unusual, except for the 4.7 HRA that had an O-66 rebuild marking on the top of the receiver. Almost bought that one, and probably should have. It might still be there on Saturday if Gary didn't snag it.
I picked up 2 HRA rack grades Saturday. Will be delivered tomorrow. One of them is a 4.7 sn. I was going for 2 to convert with new 308 barrels. If mine is the O-66 rebuild, what is the significance? Should I leave it be and purchase another project rifle? I'm a long time gun enthusiast, but a newbie in the Garand game. Any help would be appreciated! Thx.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL View Post
I picked up 2 HRA rack grades Saturday. Will be delivered tomorrow. One of them is a 4.7 sn. I was going for 2 to convert with new 308 barrels. If mine is the O-66 rebuild, what is the significance? Should I leave it be and purchase another project rifle? I'm a long time gun enthusiast, but a newbie in the Garand game. Any help would be appreciated! Thx.
Garands marked "O-66" on the top of the receiver were rebuilt by Marine Corps armorers. The one I saw in the North Store racks looked as though it had been rebuilt again, but I don't know that there is any way to tell for certain. If you bought that rifle, you might try shooting it as is - as I recall, the barrel readings weren't bad, and I suspect it was graded Rack because of the stock.

Good luck!

Tony