Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 AM

Default 012513 NS Report

I went after work, and wasn't able to leave early, so I wound up arriving at about 9:40 in the morning. There were about a half dozen customers in the store, and the number stayed about the same until I left, shortly after noon. While those of us suffering from "Stage 5 Garanditis" can always find something to be happy with, I feel for those making their first trip, or looking for something specific...other than the project stuff and the big ticket items, the store is darn near picked clean.

THE GOOD: As has been the case for the last few months, there's lots of very nice Specials, Snipers, and a good selection of Barreled Receivers and Navy Barreled Receivers. The Kimbers are getting bought up, but there's still quite a few nice ones, with beautiful stocks.

THE BAD: Zero Service Grades (other than Specials and Snipers) almost no Field Grades, other than the Winchesters that have been there for a while and are pretty picked over. A few Rack Grades, maybe half a rack of the new HRA and 3 WRAs that have been there for a while as well. The Navy B/R are getting picked over, and while there are a lot of them still, fewer and fewer have TE under 5.

THE UNUSUAL: Not much to report; a couple WW2 cartouched stocks that would probably clean up with a little effort, a few IHC and WRA parts spread among the Rackers, Carbine ammo is still holding out, although it doesn't look like it'll last too much longer.

A little more detail:

Service Grades: Absolutely nothing except the SG Specials and SG Sniper rifles. They looked very nice, as expected, but lots of the Specials have damaged stocks, as has been reported earlier. Not a big deal if you're planning on a DIY Correct Grade with a stock swap, but if you're planning on selling the CMP stock to recoup a little of the expense, you might be disappointed. I didn't look very hard, but no "hard to get" serial number ranges popped out at me (i.e. no 4.6 HRA, 6.0 SA, etc).

WRA, HRA and SA Field Grades: No SA FG, at all. A couple wall racks of WRA FG, less than a dozen, and most of them looked to be picked over, and I didn't see any 6 digits or Win-13s. Mostly the same ones that have been there for a while. Not a lot of WRA parts on them. Exactly 5 HRA FG, and none of them looked to be any better than the HRA Rack Grades...all gauged right about 3 at the ME...these are decent guns, but nothing to brag about.

Rack Grades: 3 WRA rackers, decent condition, for a restoration project, in a mix of GI and foreign wood. These are the ones that no one's been able to justify buying for about 6 months now, but I still say they're not a bad deal. If you're planning on correcting a WRA, a $595 Racker with no WRA parts is still a better deal than a $795 SG with no WRA parts, right?!?

The HRA Rack Grades, about a dozen left, were probably the best thing going among the "common man's Garands." They were pretty much identical to the FGs on the racks, with a few neat parts among them. All gauged right around 3 at the ME, although a couple might have rated 2-3, depending on how the gauge is inserted. One had an EMcF stock, one had a GAW stock, and one had an IHC op rod and safety. There was one that was pretty close to correct metal, but it went home with a customer buying his first Garand. One LMR barrel, although it was pretty shot out.

Specials: I think these are getting a lot of attention lately, with fewer and fewer of the rare S/N ranges represented. Still a great deal, and probably won't be around as long, since they're really the only game in town right now.

Snipers: Some nice project guns in the lower grades, some beautiful guns in the higher grades. It seems like the lower graded guns had more Greek Black, replacement wood, or worn barrels, with original park, GI wood (all postwar), and like new barrels in the higher grades.

Kimbers: Get 'em while you can, only about a rack left. Some very nice ones still among them.

Barreled Receivers:

Lots of them, 2 wall racks, all looking perfect, as usual.

The Mk2 Mod 0 are all gone.

The Mk2 Mod 1 had a lot to choose from, although as mentioned before, the ones with low TE are almost gone. Maybe a half dozen measure under 5 TE, and I picked out 2 of them for myself. Cosmetically, they're all pretty good, although there's a few with some cosmetic issues, and an otherwise nice 4.3M that tempted me...it had low TE and good finish, but the bore was rusty at the muzzle. It might be salvageable, but it wasn't worth the risk, imo.

There are still a fair amount of the odd .22 barreled receivers, and a fair amount of Krag and 1917 odds and ends.

Odds and ends: Still a lot of Greek Leather sllings in a bin at the back of the store, a great sling for $5. They probably had a few hundred. M14 stocks, as I said before, some with really striking grain, although they need a bit of TLC.

And as always, met some nice people, and had a great time.

Photos...this is what it looked like when I left at noon-ish:

WRA Rackers, all of them:

WRA Field Grades, all of them:

HRA Field Grades, all of them:

HRA Rack Grades, all that's left:

Navy Barreled Receivers, not many left:

CMP Barreled Receivers:

M14 stocks, I think there's some potential here:

And this is what followed me home, along with one of the $33 receiver wrenches, a can of LC Carbine ammo, and a can of HXP.

A 3.6M Navy B/R with TE=2 and a ME <1 and a 2.1M Navy B/R with a TE=3 and a ME<1, They should make for some nice projects. One is an HRA conversion, one is unmarked. I already had an AMF conversion that I mail ordered in the fall, so I now have one of each, I believe (HRA, AMF, and arsenal converted):

Last edited by dpd3672; 01-26-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Also saw these getting thrown away, so I said "please" and they're now sitting in my basement, although I don't know what the hell I need them for. My collection of random wooden boxes with GI markings is beginning to rival my gun collection. I have some vague, undefined plan to make some sort of display for photographs, but composition has never really been my forte.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Nice to see they have a good selection of the CMP barreled receivers, my next purchase.
Did you have a chance to look at those individually?

Very nice report BTW!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Nice report! Glad to have been there Thursday as far as the HRA Rackers were concerned. That rack took a beatin on Thursday

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
Also saw these getting thrown away, so I said "please" and they're now sitting in my basement, although I don't know what the hell I need them for. My collection of random wooden boxes with GI markings is beginning to rival my gun collection. I have some vague, undefined plan to make some sort of display for photographs, but composition has never really been my forte.
Grabbed a couple of those myself. I have them in the van still. The cool thing is now when I jump in the van it smells just like the North Store. Think I will leave em there

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandGrabber View Post
Grabbed a couple of those myself. I have them in the van still. The cool thing is now when I jump in the van it smells just like the North Store. Think I will leave em there
LOL! If I want my truck to smell like the South Store, I have to put a box of Dunkin Donuts in it!!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Great store report DPD. Does anyone know when a "truck" from Anniston
is due to arrive at the North Store??
Tks,
Bob32268
Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ds4me View Post
Nice to see they have a good selection of the CMP barreled receivers, my next purchase.
Did you have a chance to look at those individually?

Very nice report BTW!
I looked at all of them individually, looking for anything consecutive to what I have or something cool like a '56 barrel. They're so nice they're almost boring, all in excellent shape. A few had WW2 SA bolts, but most had postwar (A series) bolts and SA replacement barrels. I'm more interested in original stuff, but they're great for a build project, and should all make fantastic shooters.

Quote:
Nice report! Glad to have been there Thursday as far as the HRA Rackers were concerned. That rack took a beatin on Thursday
Yeah, your report got my hopes up, only to have reality dash them, haha. It's always worth the time to make a trip, though, and I feel I did OK. I was secretly hoping the Rackers would yield some rare parts, Hart trigger groups or WRA op rods, but other than what I mentioned, it was mostly common stuff.

Quote:
Maybe something they can market on the E-store. "North Store Smell" on little cardboard pine trees that hang from your rear view mirror, haha.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the report. Those pictures are all too telling. Man, I did not know how good the pickens were back in January of 2012. I sure wish I would have knew then what I know now. Kind of the same thing I say about wanting to be 18 again.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM

I went this morning. 6 hour drive from southern Indiana. Was gonna leave at 2:30 a.m. but the snooze button was working really well! Left at 3:30 a.m. and got there around 9:30. Probably 12 people in the store. The most purchased items seemed to be the Kimbers and Specials. Both of these rifles looked really good at a glance. A good selection of the specials, kimbers, M1C/M1D and barreled recievers.
I was there for the rack and field grades. Slim pickins! The HRA rack grades looked better than the 2 field grade HRA's that were there. Only 1 of the rack grades had a large gouge in the stock that had been sanded smooth, the rest had small nicks and dents but nothing major. The barreled recievers, M14 stocks and everything else is pretty much the same as dpd3672 reported for Friday. When I left around 11, there were 3 rack WRA, about 6 WRA Field grades, 1 Field HRA, and 4 or 5 rack HRA left.
I will have 2 rack grade HRA's and 1 field grade WRA arrive at my house Tuesday! HRA's are going to get new 308 barrels, a good going through and reparked and refinished. I didn't have a WRA yet, so I had to do it! Extremely light wood with hardly any finish (4th from right in dpd3672's photo) but almost all metal had a decent park on it. They have some parts I will swap onto my service grades, and I have WRA parts on those I can use now. Aside from 12 hours of driving, had a good day and am pleased with what I got(mainly because I knew what to expect from reading this forum, Thx!)
Staff was busy and very helpful making sure everyone knew what they were getting.