Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1776 rebel
    • Apr 2010

You didn't mention your age but smallbore is shot by all ages. From high school to seniors. When I was a youngin in college shooting 3P international I shot at the same club as NY Long Islander Fred Cole. That was in the 1970. And he was a working professional in his 30s at least. Last I checked he was still shooting until a few years ago. 50 or 60 years of shooting at the top ranks !

Also don't rule out Air Rifle these days. It is in its early days as a competitive sport. If you have any talent you could make a name for yourself ! Plus it comes with the added benefit of incredible cheap ammo cost. And you can practice in your basement. And legal rules in NY are much easier. Although a really nice competition 3P rifle are still 1 or 2 grand made by same manufacturers.

Google around. 3P isnt the only rimfire competition. Probably at least 2 dozen disciplines today.

Good luck....

Comment

• presidentg
      • Oct 2009

I have many Savage rifles and I have the highest opinion of them. The Target model of the MK2(a repeater) and MK1(single shot) are your entry level position rifles. There's images of them in the Sales pages of this site. I have a MK1 FVT. I also have a MK2 Tactical.
      My only issue with the MK1 FVT is the stock. I found it very difficult to build a solid prone position. Too much drop in the stock for me so I just couldn't get a cheek weld.
      I can't confirm this but I have heard that Savage will set up one of the FVT rifles with the Boyds tactical stock on special order. If not you can purchase the stock as a drop in directly from Boyds.

The problem with something like the Savage is that it's strictly entry level. For the money you would be far better off with something like a Winchester 75, Remington 513, H&R M12 or Kimber 82 GOV all of which can be found for 20-30% more the the list price of the FVT. I just checked Cabelas and they have used examples starting under $600. I'm sure you could do better than Cabelas prices without much effort.

That said my best advice is to buy what you want. I dropped a breath-taking amount of money on an Anschutz Super Match back in 2010. I have never regretted it.

Have fun!!
      give me liberty or give me death
      GSM Master Instructor
      NRA Life Member
      Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Comment

Working...
      X