Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Hi From Oregon-With a Question

I'm new to this site -- I occasionally shoot 1903-Springfield, M1-Garand and M1-Carbine matches at my club, here in Oregon. My 03 is a 1919 vintage Mark-1, my Garand is a January 1945 vintage Springfield Armory and my M1-Carbine was assembled from parts, after the war, by the Patterson Machine Works with a Marlin barrel. I love that Greek .30-06 ammo from the CMP; but, the Greek en-block clips only seem to hold the Greek brass that came in them. If I try to insert reloaded 1950s and 60s USGI brass, the Greek en-blocks swell-up about 0.003" to 0.005" and I can't get them into the ammo well. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:23 PM

First and foremost, welcome to the forum.

This is a common en bloc problem, there have been many posts about these en blocs.

It basically boils down to the fact that the older cartridge cases, Pre 1970 or so HXP and USGI brass have small groove extractor cuts on the cartridge case. The post 1970 and newer have a much wider groove extractor cut. the HXP (Usually L&H or JMO) en blocs are made for the wider grooved extractor cut casings or what is known as "NATO" extractor grooved casings.

If you use the USGI, ACE 3, or newer CMP en blocs you should no longer have this problem.

HTH.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:31 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks GM1MAN, that pretty-much answers my question. I was just puzzled about why it was happening. Hard to believe that such a small change in the size of the extraction groove would result in such significant swelling at the middle and top of the en-block. But, I guess it does!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Rob, from another Rob!

Mike does a great job of explaining the issue with certain types of clips versus extractor grooves of different ammo.

I'll find the threads that do a good job of outlining the issue, which is just what you are seeing.

Nice passel of rifles you have there....I'm sure I speak for many that pics are in order...hint, hint!

Again, welcome and best of luck,
Another Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544