Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Hello from the left coast

HI, Newbie here.

Living in the Los Angeles area. Just acquired an M1D from the CMP along with a repro scope and mount.

An M1 was the first firearm I ever fired, when my father was posted at Camp Irwin (now Fort Irwin). I've wanted my own for years but waited until I retired before I invested.

As of now I'm looking for a one inch mount for a scope. I do have a spare M1D 7/8" mount but those two don't fit together.

I'm glad to be here to discuss any an all issues regarding the M1. Oh, and by the way, mine is an S.A from July '45 with a barrel marked for '52.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:37 PM

Smile Welcome to our affliction

Welcome to the forum. Lot's of guys here with knowledge and "stuff" for your M1D.
I actually never thought I would own an M1d and now have been through a few of them.
My "keeper" is a Field Grade with an excellent barrel and nice, original thinning metal finish that the CMP did not want to sell because the wood look sooooooo nasty.
I got wood, so convinced them to sell it to me and I will have it till I'm done.

welcome.
Rob
Old 10-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Default Not a looker & not a collector

Hiya, Rob,

My M1D has a stock that looks like it was severely used, lotsa dings and scratches, but still solid.

It also has some "customization", meaning someone has carved some grooves in the left side. It was suggested to me that the shape looks like 7th Army. Who knows?

It was built Jul '45, but the barrel is marked '52. I understand there were a lot of conversions at that time by S.A. My gunsmith says this thing is mechanically very good.

As I disassembled and lubricated it, I noticed practically no wear marks.

I have no plans to upgrade the stock or beautify it at this time, I just want to shoot it and improve my marksmanship.

Gonzo
Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Descente View Post
Hiya, Rob,

My M1D has a stock that looks like it was severely used, lotsa dings and scratches, but still solid.

It also has some "customization", meaning someone has carved some grooves in the left side. It was suggested to me that the shape looks like 7th Army. Who knows?

It was built Jul '45, but the barrel is marked '52. I understand there were a lot of conversions at that time by S.A. My gunsmith says this thing is mechanically very good.

As I disassembled and lubricated it, I noticed practically no wear marks.

I have no plans to upgrade the stock or beautify it at this time, I just want to shoot it and improve my marksmanship.

Gonzo
When the first started the M1D modification, they used any rifle, SA, WRA, IHC, or HRA.

They took off the original barrel, and installed a M1D barrel. All my M1D barrels are dated 1952 or 1953.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241