Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Default Gas Cylinder moves forward and backward

I have a garand with a 4/53 Springfield barrel on it and the gas cylinder moves forward and backwards a little bit. It looks to me like the threads on the barrel could be worn. Is this something I should worry about or would it be ok to keep shooting it?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 PM

turning the lock wont help as the cylinder is held together as a solid piece by the gas screw and lock.
Threads are either bad on barrel or gas lock. Might try a new lock and see what happens
Old 10-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Might try a new lock and see what happens
Had to go through 3 locks on one of mine until it locked up nice. the other two would've "worked" but they were still a bit loose for me.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:42 PM

I don't have any extra gas cylinder locks at the moment, but I have ordered to try. Will it hurt anything to shoot it like this? Id hate to change the barrel out if it's the problem because it shoots great!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:46 PM

You could always peen the barrel splines slightly, won't hurt a thing and will tighten it all up.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:49 PM

How much forward and back movement are we talking about? Peeling mostly won’t help with this type of movement. Sounds like threads on either the barrel or the lock.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 PM

It's such a short amount that I can't get a good measurement of it, it just worries me because of the 8 garands I have this is the only one that does it. I have another one with the side to side wiggle, but this is the only one that slides a little forward.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsling3r1988 View Post
It's such a short amount that I can't get a good measurement of it, it just worries me because of the 8 garands I have this is the only one that does it. I have another one with the side to side wiggle, but this is the only one that slides a little forward.
Fair enough, but are we talking a thousandth of an inch or several thousandths? If itís only a couple/few thousandths is just try a new lock.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Fair enough, but are we talking a thousandth of an inch or several thousandths? If itís only a couple/few thousandths is just try a new lock.
I have one ordered to try.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:26 PM

Fitting a gas cylinder lock that stops/times slightly short of 6 o'clock will eliminate much of the movement. That said it often requires a number of locks to do this. I do not think that shooting it as it is will be a problem. Many M1 Rifles are like this. Only NM Rifles have fitted gas cylinder locks. When I assemble a shooter M1 I always time the locks.