Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzer View Post
You could always peen the barrel splines slightly, won't hurt a thing and will tighten it all up.
This is what I did to mine as I lt had movement
In both back and forth and side to side. Very easy to do
And it tightened it right up.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1 sniper View Post
This is what I did to mine as I lt had movement
In both back and forth and side to side.
Different story if you had side to side movement as well.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:48 PM

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armo.../gas-cylinder/
Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 AM

Guys, his issue is not splines that need peened or a lock that does not time!
The OP states that the gas cylinder is moving back and forth not side to side.
The gas lock and gas screw holds the gas cylinder together as one solid piece, has nothing to do with lock timing. The "ONLY" thing that can be wrong is worn threads on the barrel , gas lock
Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Guys, his issue is not splines that need peened or a lock that does not time!
The OP states that the gas cylinder is moving back and forth not side to side.
The gas lock and gas screw holds the gas cylinder together as one solid piece, has nothing to do with lock timing. The "ONLY" thing that can be wrong is worn threads on the barrel , gas lock
Yep, Ive said that a couple times, but sometimes people like giving advice without reading or thinking about the actual problem. Oh well, at least people try... I guess....
Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Yep, Ive said that a couple times, but sometimes people like giving advice without reading or thinking about the actual problem. Oh well, at least people try... I guess....
Yup, I give up....
Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Actually peening the splines WILL stop fore and aft movement. It has been a standard practice in the accuracy process of ALL match conditioned M1's since day one. Think of a tapered spline--the slot gets smaller toward one end. The further the gas cylinder goes on, the tighter it gets, to the point where the gas cylinder will stop. Further tightening of the lock, using some force, from the 4-5 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position WILL remove any play from the barrel/gas cylinder lock threads, assuming that the threads of both are usable. The plug screw simply holds it all together. Standard practice.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 AM

I know this might sound crazy but what about a light application of JB Weld on the last two or three rows of threads. Then chase it with a NOS gas lock or die. I’d practice on an old barrel first. Just abstract thinking here.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Actually peening the splines WILL stop fore and aft movement. It has been a standard practice in the accuracy process of ALL match conditioned M1's since day one. Think of a tapered spline--the slot gets smaller toward one end. The further the gas cylinder goes on, the tighter it gets, to the point where the gas cylinder will stop. Further tightening of the lock, using some force, from the 4-5 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position WILL remove any play from the barrel/gas cylinder lock threads, assuming that the threads of both are usable. The plug screw simply holds it all together. Standard practice.
Ahhh, actually peening won't stop fore and aft movement. The standard practice that you speak of was to prevent movement left and right. If any movement fore/aft was reduced it was only because of friction from the peening/happenstance and if a worn out or loose fitting lock was used the fore/aft moment could still be there with a slight tap of a mallet or even recoil. Talking about "Further tightening of the lock, using some force, from the 4-5 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position WILL remove any play from the barrel/gas cylinder lock threads" is exactly why having a few locks on hand is great so you can find that lock that lines up in the needed position.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You still don't get it. Yes, peening the splines is common for match conditioning, but the reason for doing it is for side to side movement, not for and aft movement. Listen to Orlando and Bwcritch. The for and aft movement is strictly limited by the threads on the barrel. It is not uncommon to see threads that have been damaged by someone forcing a lock to far clockwise in order to get the gas plug in. You can peen the splines and that will prevent you from moving the cylinder by hand, but that does not duplicate the force on the cylinder when the rifle is fired, and the for and aft movement will soon be back. If I remember correctly, several years ago someone had the whole cylinder, lock, and plug assembly end up down range when the barrel threads failed on his rifle.