Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeple Fighter View Post
I know this might sound crazy but what about a light application of JB Weld on the last two or three rows of threads. Then chase it with a NOS gas lock or die. Id practice on an old barrel first. Just abstract thinking here.
Don't waste your time.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
If I remember correctly, several years ago someone had the whole cylinder, lock, and plug assembly end up down range when the barrel threads failed on his rifle.
Now that would have been something to see! Hope nobody got hurt, but would still love to pictures of the aftermath.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Mine doesn't move much, with the gas cylinder slid as far forward as it slides and the handguard slid as far back as it goes, my credit card barely fits in between them.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 PM

Peening the splines ABSOLUTELY WILL STOP all fore/aft and rotational movement. It has been done countless times by ALL military armorers to the home gunsmith from day one. Have you ever done it or even read about it? Too bad Don McCoy passed away or you could ask him. On the other hand, I bet if John Garand himself posted here there would still be non-believers.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzer View Post
Peening the splines ABSOLUTELY WILL STOP all fore/aft and rotational movement. It has been done countless times by ALL military armorers to the home gunsmith from day one. Have you ever done it or even read about it? Too bad Don McCoy passed away or you could ask him. On the other hand, I bet if John Garand himself posted here there would still be non-believers.
Yes, I have done it and read about it. I carried an M1 from 1956 to 1964. Four of those years I was the assistant armorer for my unit. I have studied, collected and repaired M1 Garands for the last 30 years. I have owned over 30 of them, everything from Danish "less wood" rack grades to Greek "collector grades". I always strive to learn more, but one thing I learned long ago is if the gas lock and screw are tight, and the cylinder assembly still moves back and forth, the threads on the barrel are shot. Peening it is not fixing it and would not last long.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:08 PM

Loctite blue (or red if you want to be hard core about it). Unless you're shooting that rifle in a match where that is against the rules. For a range plinker, why deform metal with peening that will work loose over time anyways.

Last edited by togor; 10-14-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzer View Post
peening is a arsenal fix and is for rotational movement only. Not a fix for fore and aft movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
You still don't get it. Yes, peening the splines is common for match conditioning, but the reason for doing it is for side to side movement, not for and aft movement. Listen to Orlando and Bwcritch. The for and aft movement is strictly limited by the threads on the barrel. It is not uncommon to see threads that have been damaged by someone forcing a lock to far clockwise in order to get the gas plug in. You can peen the splines and that will prevent you from moving the cylinder by hand, but that does not duplicate the force on the cylinder when the rifle is fired, and the for and aft movement will soon be back. If I remember correctly, several years ago someone had the whole cylinder, lock, and plug assembly end up down range when the barrel threads failed on his rifle.
absolutly

Last edited by Big_Red; 10-15-2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM

OP, try a couple different locks, that seems to be the main & most logical conclusion at this point by just about everyone who’s posted in your thread. Typing IN ALL CAPS, name dropping dead people without having some sort of documentation, and questioning peoples experience/ knowledge is a good sign that some is wrong and afraid to go back on what they’ve said because of pride, or they’re just stubborn. Use your own reasons and logic, but peening will not fix fore and aft movement because of it did John Garand wouldn’t have designed the lock the way he did. Good luck with the problem and I hope you get it squared away.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
peening is a arsenal fix and is for rotational movement only. Not a fix for fore and aft movement.
This is correct. Peening presses metal into the spline/slot interface to directly block rotation. It may also result in a friction increase that mitigates fore/aft movement of the GC for a time, at least by hand feel. But eventually the works will loosen up again under repeated firings if there is any GC free travel in the fore/aft axis.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:16 PM

This works for me got the idea from a retired gunsmith in my Hunting Club.Use a o ring from the auto store between the hand guard and gas cylinder tightens the hand guard and the gas cylinder.Easy fix and you don't need to peen the barrel.Try it all it cost is about $25 cencts.