X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bitten
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Tommiep54 View Post
    I'm trying not to annoy them with my questions when I go out there. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from all sources and they are the best for hands on. Bob has shown me how to identify IHC rear sights but I don't grasp what he was saying. Where did you learn? I am reading up on IHC stocks but the slights differences in curves are hard for me to pick up. I have heard of the small notch under the op rod and will hopefully see one so I know what to look for. Any advice would be much appreciated. I almost picked up one of those 03A3's last week but don't know enough about them to feel comfortable buying. I got a Remington there last year. I should do some research so I know what I have.
    The CMP staff at the counter always seem happy and willing to answer questions. I don't feel bashful asking them anything as long as there isn't a big line in back of me. I think the best book out there is Bruce Canfield's 'The M1 Garand Rifle'. Second is Poyer and Riesch ' The M1 Garand 1936 to 1957'. Scott Duff's 'The M1 Garand: World War II' (red book) is excellent for wartime vintage rifles. The forum is a great resource for information too. When I go to the stores, I talk with the 'old timers' and ask questions. They can usually show you an example of a particular feature because of the number of rifles within reach most of the time. But, as when talking with anyone, don't confuse 'confidence in communication' with knowledge.
    NRA Life Member

Comment

• moose
      • Feb 2012

Thanks for the report. I won't bother trying for a SC if it just needs a rebarrel.

Originally posted by Chas100 View Post
      Seriously ?? It's only been 3 months since my last trip to the NS
      Yes. Uncut M1 nylon "seat belt slings" go for $20 to $25 now. That was why it is a shame the ones in the north store sling box were all cut in some way. The cut slings are $6 bucks I think.
      Last edited by Big_Red; 03-25-2018, 11:59 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
      US Nylon Field gear 1967 to 2005
      http://inrd.gotdns.com/alice

Comment

• dfxww2
        • Feb 2018

Well my son Got lucky on his Winchester Field grade the stock was a Winchester stockThe stamp was worn off We check the book on Winchester stock and it matches every detail

Comment

• Tommiep54
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by dfxww2 View Post
          Well my son Got lucky on his Winchester Field grade the stock was a Winchester stockThe stamp was worn off We check the book on Winchester stock and it matches every detail
          Nice find!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X