Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM

Default 5/29/13 report from a newbie

This is more for me to share the news that I made my first 'pilgrimage' to the CMP store and that I bought my first Garand yesterday. I have some pics of the store and rifle. The old heads around here won't be impressed with the inventory or my rifle, but it sure was fun for me!

First off, everyone I encountered from employees to other forum members, were all great people. Super friendly and helpful to a guy looking for his first Garand. Thanks!

Next: I chose a 5.6 HRA SG. Errosion measured 2 for throat and muzzle.

There were about 40-50 service grades as of 9am. Only 4 had USGI wood and to my untrained eye none of them looked very good, though I fully admit to not really knowing what Service Grade wood typically looks like. I just know that none of the 4 available appealed to me. I picked up what looked like the nicest of the 4 only to be politely advised to look elsewhere as it had the Greek black park. All of the remaining service grades had pumpkin stocks.

My only disappointment, which is very small, is that the new stocks on the SG rifles were all pumpkin stocks. I would have preferred USGI, but I am still super happy with my selection.

No field grades. Last one was sold Saturday.

Everything else was about standard with what reports from the last couple of weeks have been saying.

A couple questions:
1 - Do SG rifles ever have refinished metal? The metal parts on mine look very nice. Is it too good to be true that this nice finish is not the original? Refinished while still owned by the Army? I'm assuming the CMP doesn't do any sort of work to SG rifles.

2 - Is attaining a more authentic finish with a pumpkin stock a realistic goal? I'd like to refinish mine to obtain a more desirable look.

3 - If I'm reading the parts correctly, the barrel and receiver are both 5/55 HRA. Is this anything unique/special to find on a SG rifle?

I haven't had time yet to disassemble the rifle and see what else it is comprised of. I'll report on that later.

Now some pics of the rifle:

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Some pics from the store (crappy cell phone quality):
The Twins

Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM

2 things, neither of which are going to answer any of your questions lol...

1. Nice panorama of the store, I'm going to steal that if you don't mind!

2. Glad to see the twins are still there (blacky and whitey)

REMEMBER, If you're going to buy one, you HAVE to buy both. They MUST go together!

General George S. Patton, in a letter to his son dated June 6th, 1944:
Quote:
"What success I have had results from the fact that I have always been certain that my military reactions were correct. Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct."
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Ben View Post
This is more for me to share the news that I made my first 'pilgrimage' to the CMP store and that I bought my first Garand yesterday. I have some pics of the store and rifle. The old heads around here won't be impressed with the inventory or my rifle, but it sure was fun for me!
Don't sell yourself short - that's a great first report, and your pictures are superb. Thanks for sharing them.

Quote:
A couple questions:
1 - Do SG rifles ever have refinished metal? The metal parts on mine look very nice. Is it too good to be true that this nice finish is not the original? Refinished while still owned by the Army? I'm assuming the CMP doesn't do any sort of work to SG rifles.
They *can* be refinished, but from US arsenals (Red River, Letterkenny, et al). Arsenal rebuilds are often found among the Service Grades (and I seek them out). I believe your rifle has the original finish.

Quote:
2 - Is attaining a more authentic finish with a pumpkin stock a realistic goal? I'd like to refinish mine to obtain a more desirable look.
It is doable, but you might be surprised to know that the finish on your stock is very close in color to the USGI birch replacement stocks used during arsenal rebuilds. Here are a couple of pictures of a USGI birch stock I recently bought from Dupage Trading:

The CMP stain is just a bit lighter. You can actually stain the CMP stock to achieve a virtual match - feel free to send me a PM and I'll provide details.

Quote:
3 - If I'm reading the parts correctly, the barrel and receiver are both 5/55 HRA. Is this anything unique/special to find on a SG rifle?
Matching receivers and barrels area always nice to find in the SG racks!

You made a good choice on your first trip. Congratulations!

Tony
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
Don't sell yourself short - that's a great first report, and your pictures are superb. Thanks for sharing them.
I totally agree with Tony on this - Congrats on your first trip!

Quote:
... I believe your rifle has the original finish.
Based on what i can see in the pictures I also think you have original finish,

Quote:
Matching receivers and barrels area always nice to find in the SG racks
look at the chamber area and see if it is in the white (very shiny natural metal coloring) Generally refinished barrels show parkerizing in the area around the chamber, they do plug the chamber itself so no park get in there. Replaced barrels will rarely date match the rcvr.
The criteria I use is, if chamber is in the white and barrel is correct date for serial number, no noticeable refinish on rcvr, I consider it an original bbl/rcvr combinatiion (much harder to find on WW2 era rifles - most common on post war) (in SG condition I rearely see an HRA with a replaced barrel - note this is just my observation and it may vary with others)

AGAIN Congrats on a nice rifle and thanks for sharing!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 AM

A little off topic. Are those coasties looking at the barrel rack? Man I miss he boondoggles, I mean harbor patrols.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 PM

The Coasties were me and my GM2. We just dropped off some guns and ammo at the Forcecom Armory. No need to waste a trip!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastiegunr View Post
The Coasties were me and my GM2. We just dropped off some guns and ammo at the Forcecom Armory. No need to waste a trip!
I hear you Guns, I found myself at every gun store vermillion to conneaut one time or another, and there may have been a trip to FFF Ashland at one point.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM

I've got 5627011....close enough.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 AM

Gordie and I enjoyed meeting you and the patient pretty lady! Good first report! That rifle will last you a lifetime..I still say the airline should have let you take a few cans of HXP back as carry-on ..By the way, my PUMPKIN stock will be here today..I will lightly sand it and apply Chestnut Ridge stain..then 4-5 coats of BLO or Tung..I agree that I'm not a big pumpkin fan. There are alot of threads out there showing these stocks with a little work. Concerning the metal..not dark enough to be Greek IMHO

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 05-31-2013 at 05:28 AM.