Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 AM

Since the gas plug does not need to be removed to clean, what is the best way to keep the plug tight? Mine gets loose from shooting.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force Man12 View Post

It looks like it all fits right, and like I said, literally did not screw with anything else. And its a beast to clamp the trigger guard down.... I still haven't managed it yet.
Don't be afraid to smack the trigger guard, sometimes it needs a little help on a new stock. Watch this link, it's that easy....
http://s466.photobucket.com/user/jrm...tled.mp4.html?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30 Carbine View Post
Since the gas plug does not need to be removed to clean, what is the best way to keep the plug tight? Mine gets loose from shooting.
If it wont stay tight even when you hold onto the gas cylinder with a wrench and tighten with a ratchet, the threads maybe worn just a little. To stop that use Teflon tape around the gas plug and tighten it up. It wont vibrate loose nor melt the tape. It also allows when you disaasemble it for cleaning for it to come apart. I was shown this by an old club member who used to compete back in the 60's with his M1 in HP.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Cool so I managed to get a dude at the gun shop to help me out so that was good. Hopefully trying her out today.

So if you don't field strip to clean the gun after being out on the range, what kind of things do you do? For my mosin I would run oil and clean the barrel through, maybe wipe it down a bit.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 AM

Default Good

Quote:
For my mosin I would run oil and clean the barrel through, maybe wipe it down a bit.
Depending on how many rounds shot that is ok but I run a couple of patches with hoppe's then let sit and run a couple dry ones a day later.
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Cool so I managed to get a dude at the gun shop to help me out so that was good. Hopefully trying her out today.

So if you don't field strip to clean the gun after being out on the range, what kind of things do you do? For my mosin I would run oil and clean the barrel through, maybe wipe it down a bit.
Run a wet patch , Hoppes #9, through the barrel followed up by a brush. Then dry patches until it runs clean. Wipe the face of the bolt with wet patch and dry. Lightly oil bolt, paint brush with some oil on it is best, you are done. Maybe touch up with some grease here and there. That's it.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Smile Gca dvd

When I received my 30.06 Special, there was a DVD from the GCA. It has a step by step by step instruction for field stripping disassembly and reassembly, then add the section on Garand gear.com was very helpful.
Kudos to GCA for producing this DVD and gratitude to the CMP for adding DVD in the case with my order!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasue View Post
Ok I finally figured this out ,if you loosen up the gas cylinder you have just made your front sight loose side to side. That can't be good ,right?
There are many ways to tighten it back up but the less you take apart the better also just grabbing the gun by the front handguard or benching on HG can loosen everything up.

Every day I learn more about this gun, easy to learn about the basics but there are a lot of little things to learn like no lube of any kind on inside tube of gas cylinder and no lube on oprod. It is a hard habit to break ,oiling the metal parts to keep rust out but a little oil on a rag can be used to keep any rust at bay.
Jim
With both of my service grade Garands, the gas cylinder has some side to side play even when the gas plug is tight. I haven't noticed it making enough difference to matter in the accuracy department.

This explains it well: http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/askarmor...linderpeen.htm
Old 06-27-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasue View Post
I think that pile of parts is a funny picture. Whoever did that has a sense of humor.
Jim
That photo is how one of my rifles started out..Back years ago, the entire box was $150.00 and included all the parts minus the reciever...I put it together last year...Shoots great...
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Great info, thanks!

Tags
cleaning, field strip, m1 garand