Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Here is a thought:
CMP, trying to maximize operating efficiency, needs to ship rifles. They have negotiated an extremely low shipping rate, and, faced with the next part of the process, need a packing method. A foam-lined cardboard box has a fixed cost and most likely a good amount of data related to % of items damaged in transit based on CMP's use in the past. They also have used a low end plastic case enclosed in a cardboard box, like today's method, or the prior green case.
Perhaps their ONLY goal is the lowest overall shipping cost, factoring in these 3 items: Cost of shipping (and any associated lowered insurance based on this lowered cost), cost of packaging, and overall damage (which means replacement) rate.
If this method costs the least, yet a few of the plastic cases are damaged/destroyed, that seems like a win. Delivering the customer a plastic case is not the measured goal here.
So far in this and other threads I have seen examples where the shipping caused damage to the case, but I don't recall any damage to the rifle? Many people consider that a "win"; the case did as CMP wanted; took the damage while protecting the contents? And many wind up with a free, low end plastic rifle case as well. Sacrificial packaging is a thing, at least in the business world, oh, DOD, Government, whatever.
To many, the shipping cases are like coat hangers; I'm sure there are threads in the marketplace with people offering to give them away.

Nah, I'm sure they didn't put this kind of thought to shipping.....
JH
This. No real need for the case for most of us I would think. Whatever helps CMP further the mission is good medicine.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky52 View Post
Where are they made just out of curiosity?
All,
These new cases are made by Flambeau...they've sent some folks down to Annistion to review and discuss these issues with CMP, who is acutely aware of the problems.
As noted in another thread, they are now wrapping additional foam around the muzzle and trigger guard area to help safeguard against damage such as posted here.

Will post more information as it becomes available...
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 09-10-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
All,
These new cases are made by Flambeau...they've sent some folks down to Annistion to review and discuss these issues with CMP, who is acutely aware of the problems.
As noted in another thread, they are now wrapping additional foam around the muzzle and trigger guard area to help safeguard against damage such as posted here.

Will post more information as it becomes available...
Rob
If it helps any Rob, Flambeau is out of Middlefield, Ohio. Whether they mold their own cases, I can't say. But they are an injection molding company. It might be that they need to tweak the mix or the temp at which they are doing the molding.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:23 PM

As tempting as it is to advocate for no cases, we probably need to keep in mind that the majority of CMP customers likely do not ever come to the forum (or even know it exists). Many (most?) customers probably buy one rifle and that's it, so maybe a wider net should be cast when determining the desired packaging options. Just a thought ...

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 [Univ. of Alabama Press,1975])
Old 09-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Personally I have never had a CMP shipping problem. In all my years of having a C&R license , I can't think of another vendor who ships their rifles as well packed. I certainly have sen much worse from names that shall remain un-spoken. With that being said ..... I am aware that if the CMP or anyone else shipped their rifles encased in concrete under armed guard ...... there would still be shipping damages ..................that's life , sort of like taxes.
To be frank , I'll buy another M1 just to get what ever new case they end up using ..... I'm weird like that
Old 09-11-2018, 01:01 AM
Banned

I think the new cases are just fine, I really wish they would just ship them in a cardboard box inside another box. The tan are a little taller than the green ones. Every plastic case I get ends up going to my local gun shop for free. I think they should just wrap the rifles in bubble wrap.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Just received my rifle back after a repair. I sent the rifle back with the extra foam wrapped around the front sight and muzzle and around the receiver/charging handle the way I received it. Also had the chamber plug that came with the rifle in place. When I picked up the rifle from Fedex, the charging handle had punched a hole through the side of the plastic case and cardboard box. When I opened up the case, the pieces of foam rubber that came wrapped around the muzzle and charging handle were loose in the box, thus the hole in side of the case. Also did not receive my chamber plug back. Not very happy. Somebody at CMP was just lazy.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Foam is not much help in preventing penetration. You need to use something hard like 3/8 plywood. It's not going to scratch the metal and it will spread the force over a wider area which should prevent penetration.

Abusive shipping and handling will cause trouble. It sort of comes with automated shipping processes.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 09-28-2018, 02:16 PM

CMP can't control what the drivers of the trucks do. I've watched UPS & Fedex drivers stand on packages and throw packages out of the truck while they dug for whatever they were delivering to the firehouse that day.

A Pelican case would probably do the trick but do you really want to spend an extra $300?

SA M1 Garand X2, Shuff's SA M1 Mini-G, Inland M1 'hand stamp' Carbine, NPM M1 Carbine, Remington 03-A3, Ithaca 1911A1, RR 1911A1

CMP/forum member since April 2005. For the love of all that is holy, if we do business do me a solid and leave feedback. I'll do the same for you.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 AM

Does CMP charge extra for the plastic cases?? It's been a few years since I have purchased a firearm from them... All of mine came in cardboard boxes and all were delivered in perfect condition.... Never really cared what the box looked like as long as the contents were intact/protected..