Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Default My North Shore Trip form APRIL 20th

I know this is a few weeks late, but I am finally able to post here.

After seeing reaper's report that there were some service grade Winchesters at the North Shore, I called up that Friday the 19th at closing to determine if I were to make the trip. They had 7 of the original 12(?) left. Me and my wife decided to get there at opening which would mean we would have to leave at 4 in the morning.

We arrived at 8:27 and go inside and to my surprise, which we all know now the truck from the South Shore had arrived that week and the store was loaded with rifles. We spent a good deal of time talking to one of the armorers on duty Jim who confirmed that the truck had come in that week. Since we made the long drive he urged us to "pick up every rifle in the store and check it out." I will say that the 650 price on the Smith-corona 1903A3's was very tempting to get along with an M1 so I know what I'll be getting next. I eventually found a CMP Special 30-06 with very minor pitting below the woodline and a new CMP walnut stock. Its a Springfield made in December of 1942 which was the oldest one I could find. Which was perfect for me because I wanted a M1 that was from the war, but that I would also be able to shoot regularly.

While checking out I began talking to a man named Jeremy who is a gunsmith at a local gun shop. He offered to show me how to completely disassemble my rifle where to grease, lube and trouble shoot my M1. During this process we found that I had all Springfield parts (receiver made in December of 1942, Trigger housing July 42-October 42, Hammer August 44-January 45, bolt in the 50's and op rod December 43-June 45) we also found that it had been re-aresenled by Red river army depot sometime in its history. This for me was a phenomenal opportunity to learn about my M1 from an expert on the subject and honestly helped me learn so much more than I could have on my own in such a short period of time.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt this was an experience that should be shared. Also someone had posted that you are not allowed to take pictures in the store; however, I was able to and no one had a problem. once I figure out how I will post them for y'all
Old 05-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Congrats on the find! Glad you made the trip.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM

Picking out the perfect rifle for yourself is awesome!!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 PM

Sounds like a good one!!!! Also Welcome aboard!! If you ever need any questions Answered about your New Rifle. Just ask on "ask each other" Someone will chime in and give you an answer. Happy Shooting!!!

Last edited by m1garand1055; 05-02-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Tags
cmp special, first garand, springfield armory m1