Default First Carbine

Arrived on New Year Eve.

SG Bavarian Rural Police
1.1M WRA
Marked with last 4 digits of the serial number:

Stock
Op slide
Bolt (hand marked on top)

The top of the receiver at the chamber has the finish lightly ground off on the left side possibly for the silver solder? The lettering is barely visible.

I notice if I let the bolt fly shut and then dry fire - the left lug rotates up about 0.050" further into battery so it is flush with the top of the receiver. Is this a problem? Also the op slide is pretty loosy goosy with the bolt in the closed position - about 0.030" play up and down and 0.040" side to side. My Garand goes fully into battery with no play in the op rod in this situation.

The stock has no cartouches that I can detect. Not sure what the wood is.

Last edited by wkrose; 02-04-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Very nice looking Carbine. Your stock is an early 'I" cut walnut stock. Look for some manufacture marks in the sling well. The bolt acts like my Carbine bolts when dry firing. I don't think there is a problem there. Alot, if not most Carbines do the same thing.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrose View Post
I notice if I let the bolt fly shut and then dry fire - the left lug rotates up about 0.050" further into battery so it is flush with the top of the receiver. Is this a problem? Also the op slide is pretty loosy goosy with the bolt in the closed position - about 0.030" play up and down and 0.040" side to side. My Garand goes fully into battery with no play in the op rod in this situation.
While I am no means and carbine expert my Rock-ola SG carbine does the same left lug rotation when its dry fired. All the other carbines that I have handled have done the same thing so I would not worry about it.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Very nice rifle
Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM

There's a stamp slightly visible to the right of the number 7750 in the slingwell. also, remove the band and handguard. There's usually a maker's stamp in there on the edges of the stock.

Last edited by E-7Ret.; 01-05-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Yes, your carbine once had the open sight silver soldered on the front of the receiver.
Nice score on the stock. I don't think they had any "I" cuts that weren't walnut.
That carbine will clean up nicely.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Good score...no problems with the bolt or slide. The stock is a very nice example of an early high wood "I" cut. Look closely on the right side of the stock just forward of the oiler cutout. In the first pic it appears that you may have an ordnance wheel just forward of the cutout. That would probably make it an Inland stock. Hold it at different angles in the light. A ghost mark may show up. I have an IBM stock that only shows the cartouche when the light hits it just right.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM

I can see the indentation in the sling well beside the low serial numbers but can't make it out. I field stripped it today and found an RMC marking under the hand guard (see below) - don't know what that means. The match between the hand guard and stock is very good so whatever that is probably is what the stock is.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM

That "RMC" stands for Rock-ola Manufacturing Co.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Wkrose; I had 3 Inland bavfp filp carbines come in highwood rocola stocks. One I-CUT had a ord wheel on right side, the slingwell has a Q-RMC under the Bav numbers. The second I-cut has a faint RMC cc on right side with RMC in slingwell partially covered by bav numbers. The third was oval cut ord wheel on right with one half covered RMC in sling. I think I see the outline of a box under you numbers in slingwell. Look very close the markings are hard to see under the german numbers. If ther is a small one half inch ord wheel about 1 or 2 inches in front of cutout I think it may be a Rockola made for Quality Hdw or another mfg. they built stocks for different mfgs.

Last edited by bdcarbine; 01-07-2010 at 08:06 PM.