Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM

Don't forget a sling. I don't think they come with slings anymore. AND, if you still have a few bucks left, a bayonet would be a nice accessory (the ten inchers are only $6.50 an inch, the long ones are over $17 per inch for comparable grades. I agree that a lesser grade could be a good deal - don't ignore them (possibly rebuilt less often, might have some "better" parts). Help abounds there, avail yourself to it. Have a fun day at the hands on museum store. You'll end up with a nice rifle regardless.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Well, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. It was an interesting trip and alot of fun. I looked through alot of rifles and settled on a service grade SA. I didn't notice any WWII recievers in my price range (although after looking at the SN range for the rack grade WRA they had some of those may have been). Even though it is not a WWII vet I'm happy with the rifle as it is very low wear and looks good. I also bought a can of ammo so I can try her out. Thanks again for all the suggestions and thanks to the man from Gaylord at the store who answered some of my questions.....
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reponator View Post
I looked through a lot of rifles and settled on a service grade SA....I'm happy with the rifle as it is very low wear and looks good....
Congrats!

Can you tell us who made the components? It's fun and interesting to study the history of the weapon by seeing what parts are original-ish, what are replaced in a rebuild, etc.

Any pictures? Would love to see some pics.

Again - congrats on your first M1. I hope it's the start of a hobby, maybe to include an HRA M1 before those run out!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Well, I haven't been able to detail strip it yet. I just haven't had the time. From what I have seen so far it has the original SA barrel made in 54 that goes with the reciever. The trigger group appears to be SA as well. The bolt is HRA. When I get around to the pics I will post them. It is a very nice rifle, but the one thing bugging me is my research I did after. If I'm correct all WRA rifles were made during WWII. I wasn't aware of that. I would have taken a harder look at those. I don't know if the outcome would have changed as I couldn't afford a FG WRA and the RG were pretty worn, but it bugs me. I'm trying to figure out how to raise enough funds for anther trip now......LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reponator View Post
Well, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. It was an interesting trip and alot of fun. I looked through alot of rifles and settled on a service grade SA. I didn't notice any WWII recievers in my price range (although after looking at the SN range for the rack grade WRA they had some of those may have been). Even though it is not a WWII vet I'm happy with the rifle as it is very low wear and looks good. I also bought a can of ammo so I can try her out. Thanks again for all the suggestions and thanks to the man from Gaylord at the store who answered some of my questions.....
You are most welcome.. You got a pretty rifle. I'm sure it won't be your last...By the way..I gauged a lot of those WRA FG while I was waiting around. They were pretty much gauge swallowers. You didn't make a mistake.

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks. That helps.... I'm sure I will be going back when I can....Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm not much of a picture taker, but here is what I got. It has a CMP stock, HRA bolt and op rod. Everything else I found markings on was SA.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Great lookin' rifle!

I'm kinda startin' to like those birch stocks.....hmmmm

http://david.tenifer.com/faith/hr_tumblr.php

A Lifetime of Service
▪ 82nd Airborne Division, HHC, 313th MI Battalion, 1978—1981
▪ Philadelphia Police Department, 1984—Present