Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 AM

I live 14 hours away and would still love to make the trip someday.
Like others have said, just to be in the same room with so much history would be worth a trip. The whole experience just sounds great.
I've got an order in for a FG WRA because they show they're out of SG. I'd like to make a trip so I could pick my own rifle out, maybe someday, but if I lived five hours away, I'd be there!
Good luck on your decision and new rifle!

Edit: Sorry I hit the NS button instead of the SS button. I'm 18 hours away from the NS, but still would like to make the trip.

Last edited by dannybritton; 06-18-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911pauly View Post
I live about 5 hours away from the North Store. Hoping to buy my first Garand. I don't know nearly as much as most of you do about them. Is it worth going to the store to pick one out or just doing the mail order deal?

Thanks
Paul
5 hour drive, yes definitely worth it, especially if it's your first.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM

When would be the best time to go? I've heard during the National Matches can be really good or completely picked.

What would be the next time in the next few months?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 PM

There is also the small collection of armored vehicles on display on the base, Always fun to see tanks up close and personal. So that is an extra reason to go.

And if you have the time, you can also have lunch/or dinner some place on the lake in Port Clinton / Catawba.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Last year I picked a few nice FG's and lots of corroded HXP at 1/2 price that cleaned up nicely.
Thread hijack. I've got some corroded Portuguese 7.62 that I bought that needs to be cleaned up. What did you do to clean your HXP? I'm either going to try fine steel wool, or walnut shells in a rotary rock tumbler.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOhio View Post
Thread hijack. I've got some corroded Portuguese 7.62 that I bought that needs to be cleaned up. What did you do to clean your HXP? I'm either going to try fine steel wool, or walnut shells in a rotary rock tumbler.
Walnut or cob shells, tumble 1/2-1 hour, you should be good to go. Tumbling has never hurt my ammo, I like my ammo clean.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
When would be the best time to go? I've heard during the National Matches can be really good or completely picked.

Probably around the second week in July when the pistol matches begin. Look at the national match schedule when they are open since the will be open almost every day.

When the high power rifles matches start, you get a lot of visitors so it is better to go before then. On the other hand, during the high power rifles matches, vendor row is awesome.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Update, NOW! I just returned from my annual pilgrimage to the North Store. Wednesday and Thursday just the stuff I expected, I was planning on returning home Friday morning but, the staff hinted that I should stop back Friday afternoon. I'm glad my wife agreed to stay an extra day because I hit the jackpot! One rack SG Winnie's mostly 13's, two racks of SG HRA's and two racks of X and Y grade Krag's. Finding nice rifles was way too easy. I adopted a "green" parked Winnie-13, a 4.7 SG HRA all correct except for the bolt, a X and a Y grade Krags with good bores and headspace, 2 of the Barreled Receivers and bolts w/no pitting and of course a few cans of loose HXP. As usual Bob, Jim and Adam were all GREAT. My credit card is glad I live 8 hours away.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM

One should always make at least one trip to the Holy Land. However, my random mail orders were much better than expected.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM

I was able to pick a Garand -last day of the Eastern Games- that was in the wrong stock, but the rifle IN that stock was 99% original finish, 1955 production, most likely unfired other than test firing, with 100% matching parts-other than the stock, of course.

I wouldn't have believed it, but now I've seen that there are a few others here that got a new condition rifle for $625. Any offer below $1500 for a rifle like this would be laughable at best!

I say probably worth it, and while you may not find a new condition rifle, it will be what you decide to pick for yourself.