Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320ydsniper View Post
Thanks flieger67, I really would like a pre war Winchester but I think that's outta the question right now so basically either hra or ihc. Springfield's seem plenty so I kinda wanna go a lil off the beaten path. I want a rifle that has some character not to concerned with all matching right now, def a good shooter to.. I was told to look for a var barrel or nm, are they higher quality? And if I was planning on buying one of the 695$ rifles and a barreled receiver how much money should I really bring? Was planning about 1500$ for those two items and all the fees with a lil left over for accessorie. Also how much is the ammo there? I have about 500rds ball ammo already in my pile just waiting to be shot.
For what it's worth, the only WRA (Winchester) rifles that I saw were rack or field grade - definitely below the grade that you seem to be looking for. As for IHC, I didn't see any and I don't think the CMP has had much (if any) IHC for some time: they produced the lowest amount of M1's out of the four manufacturers.

And also be aware that you are likely to find a lot of "mixmasters", which are rifles with a variety of manufacturers' parts on them. For instance, my rifle has a Springfield barrel, stock and trigger group but an HRA receiver with a much later production date. Don't forget that a lot of WW II rifles were re-built following the war and the arsenals weren't concerned with keeping rifles "correct" as far as collectors would be. And rifles that got loaned to allies such as Greece, Italy and Denmark might rebuild rifles as necessary. Indeed, even the CMP itself will replace worn parts also leading to "mixmasters". Nothing wrong with that as long as the rifle is safe to shoot.

As for the NM and var barrels, someone else would probably give you a more definitive answer. The NM (National Match) barrels might be more accurate but I doubt that only the most advanced shooters with match-grade ammo could tell any difference. And given the following that the NM rifles (and even NM parts like op rods and barrels have), you probably have a very small chance of finding anything NM unless you get very lucky.

If you are most concerned with a good-shooting rifle, it might be worth your time to check out the throat and muzzle erosion readings on the some of the rack or field grade rifles when you look over the service grade rifles. The service grade rifles had their TE/ME readings on their hang tags while the rack and field grades that I saw did not. So if you can borrow or buy a set of gauges, you might find the proverbial "diamond in the rough" with a racker or field with light wear to the barrel. Some guys prefer to get the lower grades with a beat-up stock in order to save money and then replace the stocks themselves.

Good luck with your shopping trip and please do let us know what you end up buying. As always, pics are appreciated, too.

Last edited by flieger67; 10-03-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

IHCs are not available (looks like after Xmas) yet....so its either an SA or HRA since you dont want an WRA. Ammo...30-06 is $98 for 200 rounds.

You really need to check this: http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320ydsniper View Post
how much money should I really bring? Was planning about 1500$ for those two items and all the fees with a lil left over for accessorie. Also how much is the ammo there? I have about 500rds ball ammo already in my pile just waiting to be shot.

Ammo and accessories are the same price in the store and the estore.
You can 'order' in store and have it shipped home.

When I went to the south store, sales tax was just about the same as shipping, so I walked out with ammo (and a few other small items) in hand, but I would ship a rifle.

On service grade rifles, pay 20 shipping or 50 tax.
On special and correct grades, pay 20 shipping or 65+ tax.

Bonus: if they ship, no worries about someone doing a B & E and taking it from your vehicle.

If you are absolutely not taking/using plastic...I would say 500 more than anticipated; you never know what you may find in the corner
Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj98 View Post
Bonus: if they ship, no worries about someone doing a B & E and taking it from your vehicle.
No worry about losing the rifle if you pick it up in person and drive home with it. Especially for a legally-armed citizen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj98 View Post
If you are absolutely not taking/using plastic...I would say 500 more than anticipated; you never know what you may find in the corner
Excellent advice!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM

Since im coming from jersey more then likely ill be spending the night, probably drive out on tuesday to be there for the opening on wed... more then likely ill be sleeping with my rifle that night so no worries about a b&e from my vehicle lol.. also do you guys know how much the rack grade rifles are? in the estore it only shows winchester and they are sold out. i tried calling the store today but it just kept ringing.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Winchester is the only Rack Grade that is offered. The North Store still has WRAs in both Rack and Field Grade.....atleast as of last week. If the phone wasnt answered they must have been busy. I know they were expecting a new delivery.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Ok. Ill just have to try again tomorrow.. so is it safe to say that since field and service grade is 100$ difference then would the rack grades be 425$?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM

No, WRAs no matter what the grade are more expensive...WRA Service Grades were $795 verses $625 for a SA or HRA Service Grade. I think the Rack Grade WRAs are like about $525...or a little more.