Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Picked up a box of 420 Federal 5.56 62gr green tip (XM855F1) this evening for $199+tax at Dick's Sporting Goods. All on strippers and in ammo can. No idea if it is a good price, but with the curent climate... eh.

Federal = Lake City?
(noob who has rarely bought surplus beyond HXP)
Just so you feel better, that is a great price at this time. I was buying that stuff for about $165 and that includes shipping per 420 last year then it jumped. Gander Mtn in Holland OH is asking the ridiculous price of $240 right now. Bass Pro in Rossford OH has it for about $180. I'd love to stock up with more but I'm still paying off a credit card with last summer's vacation, a beautiful Krag rifle that was on the north store racks last July (best looking and shooting so called "junk" gun I ever bought for $300) and one of those 5.56 belt ammo boxes that I saw in the NS after the air gun match on 11/3.

FYI: if you are going to make a special trip to any of the stores mentioned above, be aware that they only had about 12 cases and the last I looked was about a week ago.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Federal = Lake City?
(noob who has rarely bought surplus beyond HXP)
ATK is currently the contractor running the Government Owned, Contractor Operated (GOCO) facility at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.

ATK has subcontracted the contract to their subsidiary, Federal Cartridge Corporation for the execution of the contract.

So, yes. For now, Lake City = Federal.

ATK recently won the re-compete of the contract so they will be the contractor for the forseeable future.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajz1966 View Post
Just so you feel better, that is a great price at this time. I was buying that stuff for about $165 and that includes shipping per 420 last year then it jumped. Gander Mtn in Holland OH is asking the ridiculous price of $240 right now. Bass Pro in Rossford OH has it for about $180. I'd love to stock up with more but I'm still paying off a credit card with last summer's vacation, a beautiful Krag rifle that was on the north store racks last July (best looking and shooting so called "junk" gun I ever bought for $300) and one of those 5.56 belt ammo boxes that I saw in the NS after the air gun match on 11/3.

FYI: if you are going to make a special trip to any of the stores mentioned above, be aware that they only had about 12 cases and the last I looked was about a week ago.
Yeah, they had a total of 2 cans of the stuff. Only grabbed a single can, as I am more focused on feeding the M14 and wanted to save money in case THAT appears in any decent quantity/price.

Something that bugged me in hindsight in DSG; I could not get a shred of data service on my android while inside. I am now wondering if they are blocking the signal because of those like myself who like to do price-checks on the fly.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob32268 View Post
I have an early AR-15 SP1 and I've been told this ammo won't work well
in my rifle due to barrel twist. I was told to use only 55 gr. ammo. Any truth
to this??
Bob32268

That is correct. The 1:12 or so twist of the M16A1 (& the AR15 SP1) is not tight enough to stabilize the heavier, longer bullet, and it tumbles out after 100 yds. That's right out of the FMs / TMs.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Back to the tumbling bullets, isn't that how the 5.56 originaly got its stopping power ? I think the original guns had 1:14 twist and were tumbling with 55 gr. bullets.

Last edited by eejit; 01-08-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM

That's what I read the design of them was supposed to be - hit tissue and some bone, yaw, tumble then fragment but they didn't figure into the equation a malnourished fighter a few inches thinner than average so the bullet exits then tumbles breaking apart in air causing as much injury as a 22 LR.

I do not condone any of these methods but I've heard of people purposely sacrificing accuracy by using too long a bullet for their rifling with the intent to cause keyhole entrance injury for a home defense situation. I know others who use thin jacket 40 grain bullets in 1:7 twist barrels also hoping some edge will be realized when the thin jacket blows apart from being over-stablized. Personally, I wouldn't try either method for defensive purposes though I might try shooting this way at the range for academic purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eejit View Post
Back to the tumbling bullets, isn't that how the 5.56 originaly got its stopping power ? I think the original guns had 1:14 twist and were tumbling with 55 gr. bullets.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM

I notice this thread ended in November of 2012 before a new comment reactivated it so, I guess I'll keep it going. How is the ammo situation in your area?

I'm in Toledo OH. From Christmas to New Years, anything AR related sold out. Adco which specializes in that platform just had hooks and wire on the walls with some flash suppressors, a Mosin Nagant Carbine, an M1 Carbine and a shotgun. AK stuff was second to go but ammo can be found. Stuff is gone everywhere and I checked Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander, Clelands, Adco, Bill's Gun Shop, Woodville Surplus, the CMP, etc. People are standing in line before some of the big box stores open on their delivery days hoping to rush in for 5.56/.223 when it is restocked. After the long guns, handguns were big sellers with many popular models gone. I notice that primers have disappeared now. Powder is still available but I'm sure that will vanish soon.

I lucked out and on 1/2 I went to the North Store right when they opened and got 400 rounds of 75 grain match ammo. I read elsewhere on the forum it was all gone later in the day. Fortunately, I'm stocked up on most everything as 2008 taught me a lesson about only keeping stuff on hand for immediate need. To beat the hoarder, you have to hoard the stuff yourself so I bought slowly the last 4 years as I don't have the financial reserves to walk into a store and fill a cart with $2000 of ammo when a panic hits.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM

I try to buy when the prices are right, I don't have enough for my liking but do have alot. Last ammo I bought was right before the big rush that i expected to come, 1000rds of 762x39 (ammoman) and after a can of the 30carb. from cmp. Haven't recieved either yet..
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM

No the bullet was not designed to tumbel. But Mr Klasikov did design the russian one too tumbel according to his BS. If you belive that old fart. I think he was created by the minister of propaganda. As was their famous sniper, and women snipers. BS pure and simple Most of the shots in Stalingrad 50 to 75 yds