Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM

Great selection. One of our VA Services Officers has been hounding me to take him to the South Store to pick out a WWII SG. Hope we will fair as well....

You stock is showing potential for some outstanding grain striping/flame with a good refinish/re-staining!
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the responses and advice, everyone. I appreciate it. It was a great experience and being a Phoenix resident I can't wait for CMP West so that I can see some Garands in action and hopefully pick up another rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
You stock is showing potential for some outstanding grain striping/flame with a good refinish/re-staining!
Thats what I'm hoping for! There are certainly a couple of interesting patterns in the grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwei
look at the chamber area and see if it is in the white (very shiny natural metal coloring) Generally refinished barrels show parkerizing in the area around the chamber, they do plug the chamber itself so no park get in there. Replaced barrels will rarely date match the rcvr.
The criteria I use is, if chamber is in the white and barrel is correct date for serial number, no noticeable refinish on rcvr, I consider it an original bbl/rcvr combinatiion (much harder to find on WW2 era rifles - most common on post war) (in SG condition I rearely see an HRA with a replaced barrel - note this is just my observation and it may vary with others)
I checked this morning. There is zero park anywhere on the chamber area. All shows a nice natural shiny metal. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I stumbled onto a decent find after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandGrabber
Gordie and I enjoyed meeting you and the patient pretty lady! Good first report! That rifle will last you a lifetime..I still say the airline should have let you take a few cans of HXP back as carry-on ..By the way, my PUMPKIN stock will be here today..I will lightly sand it and apply Chestnut Ridge stain..then 4-5 coats of BLO or Tung..I agree that I'm not a big pumpkin fan. There are alot of threads out there showing these stocks with a little work. Concerning the metal..not dark enough to be Greek IMHO
It was a pleasure meeting the both of you as well! Please post some photos of your stock after you've finished it! I'm trying to find as many examples as I can of what can be done with this stock.

----

I was about to post question on why my windage knob is so hard to turn. And then I RTFM. Amazing what you can learn.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
I've got 5627011....close enough.
I guess that makes us cousins.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 PM

The Coasties were me and my GM2. We just dropped off some guns and ammo at the Forcecom Armory. No need to waste a trip!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastiegunr View Post
The Coasties were me and my GM2. We just dropped off some guns and ammo at the Forcecom Armory. No need to waste a trip!
I hear you Guns, I found myself at every gun store vermillion to conneaut one time or another, and there may have been a trip to FFF Ashland at one point.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM

OP, great looking rifle, and the stock looks like it will clean up nice! First things first, follow Jaw1947's advice and look for how to relieve the stock (if needed). Additionally, (my noob advice) look up the tilt test. Make sure those areas are cleaned up and everything clears nice, and it shoots nice, before you refinish, or you may have to re-refinish (don't ask me how I know!)

After that maybe some light sanding, some steel wool, food grade mineral oil (linseed oil) or tung oil of many coats, with lots of drying between coats.

Enjoy it!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:30 AM

My Pumpkin will have its first coat of oil this PM. I sanded it lightly to nearly bare and applied a couple coats of good old minwax walnut..looks like with some oiling it will pop nicely. I left the handguards alone for comparison purposes..will do them next week sometime..

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 06-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandGrabber View Post
I sanded it lightly to nearly bare and applied a couple coats of good old minwood walnut..looks like with some oiling it will pop nicely. I left the handguards alone for comparison purposes..will do them next week sometime..
Do these CMP birch stocks not need to be stripped with chemicals? I've seen a couple of posts in other threads where folks mentioned that they sanded the finish away. What grit paper did you use?

I've never done any stain/finish work with wood, but I follow directions pretty well. I've already bookmarked several posts/threads with directions/info, and it doesn't seem like it will be too difficult.

------------------

In other news, I field stripped the rifle last night. What I saw was a virtually flawless finish on the metal. Very nice to see! In fact it looks so good that I have to believe that it has been arsenal refinished, despite not showing any park on the chamber area. I have no idea. I just know that it looks good enough to eat off of.

Results:
5/55 HRA Barrel and receiver
HRA Hammer, rear sights
SA bolt, op rod, trigger group.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Nice report.

I see my two favorite 1917 rifles have now been placed found their home on the top rack again.

Your rifle looks great. The metal is in great shape. The nice thing about the Pumpkin stocks are for the most part they have a good fit.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:56 AM

Default refinish

Not at all difficult. If it was I couldn't do it..I just am real careful to sand away just "the nasty finish". I have used Chestnut ridge in the past..This time I'm using what I have on hand..I agree with many that the Chestnut Ridge is almost too Red. I have coat #2 of Tung on it right now..I like to give it 24 hours to really dry between applications. As I mentioned I left the hand guards on the rifle and un-refinished to show kind of a "before and after on the same rifle"..couple more days and it will have enough finish to have you be able to get the difference..

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 06-02-2013 at 05:05 AM.